Consulting

Thread: Solved: Slide Master, with Number, Dates, Footer

VBAX Sage
    Solved: Slide Master, with Number, Dates, Footer

PP 2007 -- Is there any way to prevent the Slide Number, Date, and Footer entered on the Slide Master from being edited, deleted, moved, etc. on a normal slide?

I can insert and format the Slide Number, Date, and Footer on a Master, but they're not or the "Master Layer" (?) for a normal slide, the way a picture on the background is (i.e. the picture can not be moved or edited on a normal slide)

I thought in PP2003 and earlier, the Slide Number, Date, and Footer from the Master were inaccessable from a normal slide; sort of on the 'background'

I'm constantly accidently dragging them a little off position, etc. I can reset the layout, but sometimes that's a little TOO much.

Here's an example. Just remove the ".zip" part of the file name

Thanks

Paul

VBAX Master

Been there...
    See http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/powerpoi...als.html#v2007
    "I want old style slide numbers back"
    John Wilson
    Microsoft PowerPoint MVP
    Amazing Free PowerPoint Tutorials
    http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/powerpoi...tutorials.html

VBAX Sage
    I thought I was going crazy. (or that I had forgotten the little bit I ever know about PP)

I must have re-done my presentation 4-5 times trying to get the SN/D/F boxes consistant (back to Master, back to Slides, back to Master, back to Slides, ...)

1. Can I get that technique work for Date and Footer also?

2. I have a 'Standardization' macro to make the CustomLayout placeholders (by type) 'match' the Master layout's placeholders for a presentation. Now that I know PP2007 does it wrong (i.e. not the way I want it ), I might just expand the macro to make all the SN/F/D placeholders match their Customlayout's.

What do you think?

Paul

VBAX Sage
    OK, this is begiining to take a lot more work that I thought.

Is there an easy way to take the format for one shape and apply it to another? FormatPainter does not seem to be exposed to VBA.

I'm just trying to take the Fill properties of one shape (Master slide number placeholder) and apply to the same placeholder types on the slides. Then I'll do Font, and then some others. Eventually I'll do Date and Footer, but Slide Number seems like a good place to start. HA!

The PP object model (inc, .Fill) is very much a .... Hmmm .... PITA to work with. So far I have to see what .Type of fill is applied, and then use the appropriate method (there are 3 or 4) to apply the source properties to the destination properties, one at a time

Am I overlooking something very obvious here? PP VBA can't be this hard to work with.

I was looking for something like Excel's .PasteSpecial xlFormat.

Paul

VBAX Contributor
    OK, this is begiining to take a lot more work that I thought.

Is there an easy way to take the format for one shape and apply it to another? FormatPainter does not seem to be exposed to VBA.

Paul
    I believe this will do what formatPainter does in VBA:
    [vba]
    Set myDocument = ActivePresentation.Slides(1)
    With myDocument
    .Shapes(1).PickUp
    .Shapes(2).Apply
    End With[/vba]

VBAX Sage

Thanks^2 -- That is SO much shorter and easier that the 100-200 lines of code I was envisioning

Between John's and your help, it'll be much easier to work around the 2007 PP change in the way Footer, Date, and Slide Number place holders do not stay on the Master where they belong.

Paul