Consulting

Thread: How to Add a File to References List with VBA

How to Add a File to References List with VBA

OK, I'm getting nowhere trying to get Excel to open Personal.xls at startup.
    Is there a way to write a macro that will add Personal.xls to the References list when I first open a workbook?

Personal.xls doesn't get opened apparently because it's not on the References list of some, but not all, workbooks. If I add it to the Reference list, why doesn't it stay there when I close the workbook??

I gotta find a way to make Excel load Personal . . .

I thought Excel always opened personal.xls, since it's in the XLSTART folder? Or am I missing something.

I thought the same way, but believe me, it just isn't happening when some of my files are opened. I found another guy in a different forum who is having the same problem. When I did a Google on the problem, a flood of references came out. (Sigh)

I just tried to open it with a VBA "OPEN" statement as the first statement in the WORKBOOK_OPEN macro, and it said that it couldn't find Personal. That's strange since I had the full path included. Now THAT'S strange.
    Sid

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    Have you tried repairing the Office installation?
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Post a workbook with sample data and layout if you want a quicker solution.

To help indent your macros try Smart Indent

Please remember to mark threads 'Solved'

Not yet. I tried to find Detect and Repair, but so far Help (where it is supposed to be) has been unable to find it. That's also sorta weird. (moan) It seems to me that this ought to be some sort of corruption, since many of my workbooks are functioning OK . . . but alas, many are not.

Is there some sort of code that I can use at workbook open time that will load Personal? The problem is that I don't think it's a workbook open problem. I suspect it is a problem with establishing Personal as a reference. I can do that manually by doing a browse on the Reference List then telling it the name of the workbook to add. But that's a one-time fix that has to be done everytime I open the affected workbook.

It makes no sense. Where is your personal.xls located (the path)?

VBAX Sage

If it's 2007, goto Options, Add-ins, and "Manage: Disabled Items"

See if Personal is disabled. If so, Enable it

Paul

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    Not yet. I tried to find Detect and Repair, but so far Help (where it is supposed to be) has been unable to find it.
    Office Button>Excel Options>run Microsoft Office Diagnostics

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber