Consulting

Thread: Streaming tab-delimited data from URL and parsing - MS Access

Streaming tab-delimited data from URL and parsing - MS Access

Hi,
    I'm trying to figure out how to take tab-delimited data in a web page and stream it into Access to parse the data into a table.

The data are in relatively consistent format, like this example:
    hypertexttransferprotocol://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/dv?cb_00060=on&format=rdb&begin_date=2008-10-11&end_date=2009-10-11&site_no=08100000&referred_module=sw

(note: i changed the HTTP part of the url to hypertexttransferprotocol - I wanted to include the URL as it's a key example of what I'm needing to work with)

I have a list of water quality sites in an access table that I want to loop through and swap out the site_no for each site in the URL, and then somehow access those data (stream?).

At this point I'm not real sure what I'm looking for with a method or other to stream the data or access them from the page as shown...

In this case I don't want to save the file to my machine, just scrape the data from the web

I'm relatively new to VBA

thanks,
    Tom

I don't think you CAN do this. but what you can do is query the webpage in Excel, then import it into Access. you could automate this process too, by recording a macro the first time you do it, and then use that code in Access to get the data you need using the excel VBA reference library. i'm not sure of any other way to do it.

You could use Logparser with a template output, or DHTML and the CreateTextRange() method parsed into Access. The Excel method will work but requires coding in addition to what would be output by recording a macro. Do you have the Access Table structure already defined? .02 Stan