Consulting

Thread: Exclude a single xl file from macro

Exclude a single xl file from macro

Hi,

I use the code below to delete all xl files at a certain destination on a weekly basis. Because someone in the organisation has left one open it won't work. Therefore I want to exclude that single file (let's call it "Obstacle.xls") so that the macro will delete all the other xl files within the parent folder and subfolders. Can't figure out the syntax though..

Thanks.

[VBA]Sub DeleteAllXLSFiles()
    Dim lCount As Long
    Dim wbResults As Workbook
    Dim wbCodeBook As Workbook
    Dim fs

Set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

With Application.FileSearch
    .NewSearch
    'Change path to suit
    .LookIn = "\\Parent directory\"
    .SearchSubFolders = True
    .FileType = msoFileTypeExcelWorkbooks

If .Execute > 0 Then 'Workbooks in folder
    For lCount = 1 To .FoundFiles.Count ' Loop through all.

fs.DeleteFile .FoundFiles(lCount)

Next lCount

End If
    End With
    End Sub[/VBA]

Inside the inner For loop, can you check if .FoundFiles(lCount) = "Obstacles.xls" and act accordingly? You might also have to adjust the loop so it runs backwards.
    Regards,
    JP

Read the FAQ
    Getting free help on the web
    My website
    Please use [vba][/vba] tags when posting code

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    How about just wrapping the delete statement in On Error resume Next ... On Error Goto 0

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    If you're ever going to upgrade your Excel (to 2007 or above), I recommend finding another solution now, because some knuckle head arbitrarily decided that the FileSearch method didn't need to be in the Object Model anymore, because nobody uses it. You can use either the Dir() or FSO methods, both forward and backward compatible.

If you're ever going to upgrade your Excel (to 2007 or above), I recommend finding another solution now, because some knuckle head arbitrarily decided that the FileSearch method didn't need to be in the Object Model anymore, because nobody uses it. You can use either the Dir() or FSO methods, both forward and backward compatible.
    That is totally disingenuous. It was no knucklehead, it was not arbitrary.

The MVP community (at least) was asked and responded that they had no problem with it being removed. Poor old MS, damned when they do, damned when they don't.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    No they weren't! At least I wasn't! The gentleman I spoke with from MS more or less said someone just "made a decision" to take it out. And it was absolutely a knucklehead, Bob. The FileSearch method was awesome. And even if it wasn't, it certainly shouldn't have been taken out once it was put in!

Poor old MS??? Seriously? No, not on this one.

Sorry, but I was there, and I remember MS posting the question.

The 'gentleman .. from MS' didn't necessarily know, MS is famous for being devolved units.

Abusus non tollit usum

James Thurber

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    Well whaddya know, I was there too. I'm glad somebody remembers it. At least MS took the time to ask a few people what they thought, even if they weren't ever going to act on it. I can't imagine what goes through people's heads when they make decisions like that.

Okay, off the soap box, and done hijacking the thread.

If you were there, how come you don't remember them asking?

They, MS, did listen, as I said, the majority of those who responded said they didn't use it and felt it would be no loss.

Abusus non tollit usum

James Thurber

Thanks for the responses. As any of 250 workbooks might be left open, xld's suggestion seems most appropriate, no need for me to identify the workbook(s) in question at this stage . I can then use another macro to list whatever is left after deletions.

The 'hijack' is of interest too. I will look into the alternative search methods suggested.

You might have mentioned in the first place that it could be any workbook. Your OP implied that it was only one particular workbook that could be open.
    Regards,
    JP

Read the FAQ
    Getting free help on the web
    My website
    Please use [vba][/vba] tags when posting code

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    If you were there, how come you don't remember them asking?

They, MS, did listen, as I said, the majority of those who responded said they didn't use it and felt it would be no loss.
    I remember being told about it, not being asked. Must've been a different meeting eh. Regardless of the semantics, it's absurd. I know it wasn't used much, but put it in then take it out? Arbitrarily make people not be able to have their code forward compatible? Craziness.

I remember being told about it, not being asked. Must've been a different meeting eh. Regardless of the semantics, it's absurd. I know it wasn't used much, but put it in then take it out? Arbitrarily make people not be able to have their code forward compatible? Craziness.
    It was done via the NGs, not a meeting. But my point is how can it be absurd and arbitray if they asked and the answer was saying it was fine to get rid of it. I know Mericun isn't the same as English but I thought we defined arbitray the same way.

Anyway, maintaining backwards compatibility for all products, all functionality is a huge constraint on MS, it gets harder and harder to make changes. Oracle, Sun, Applewould never constrain themselves so.

Abusus non tollit usum

James Thurber

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    Mericun? Oh it's English, Bob, just not your English. Moving on.

Tell you what, let's not call it absurd or arbitrary, you can be happy about that, and I'll just call it retarded. Is that ok with you? I don't care if they asked the Prime Minister, my President, or my Mother, I still think it was a retarded thing to do, regardless of how difficult it was to keep that small piece of coding in the OM.

Why exactly are we arguing about this anyway?