Thread: IF, Solver and Clearing Cells based on the IF

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    VBAX Newbie
    IF, Solver and Clearing Cells based on the IF

In summary:
    • I have two options and two different solver inputs to run based on the options. I have got this working correctly.
    • One of the solver options produces 100 loops, while the second will produce less (say, 50)
    • The solver outputs are being graphed. If I use the first solver and then the second, I have data left over. This means my graph is using the 50 loops of my second solver option, and then the last 50 of the first solver options.
    I have googled around trying various combinations of what I'm looking for. After searching I found a formula posted by someone of this site, the VBA is (similar to), however, I could not find anything else suitable:

[vba] Option Explicit

Sub ClearCell()

Range("B103:B104").Clear

End Sub[/vba]
    My issues are that when I try to run the macro after implementing the above VBA is:

for "Option Explicit" - compile error: invalid inside procedure

If I remove it, VBA expects me to end the entire Sub I'm working on previous to opening this new one - i.e. the Sub I'm using for my entire macro

I'm relatively new to VBA and am not overly familiar with how Sub works, or what it actually does.

What I guess I'm really looking for is an answer as to whether or not it is possible to clear my 50 results before running the second conditional solving, or if I should implement a second button to clear the results for me (the easy way). It is preferred that it was all in the one click.

edit: I will have the macro clear all entries as solver sometimes returns no result. switching from one solver IF to another could produce anomalies in my graph.

I don't really want to post my VBA code to the public but can do upon PM request - this is for a University project and I don't particularly want someone else turning up with an identical VBA code

The gist of it goes like this:
    • sub starts,
    • IF decision,
    • loop starts - option one or option two,
    • loop ends,
    • sub ends
    What I want to have:
    • sub starts,
    • IF decision,
    • excess data is cleared,
    • loop starts - option one or option two,
    • loop ends,
    • sub ends
    Any insight would be much appreciated
    Last edited by zzane; 10-27-2009 at 05:52 PM.

VBAX Newbie
    I might also add something important that I seem to have missed out. I need the formulas to remain there but display nothing - otherwise solver has nothing to go by when using the loop. I am beginning to think it may be better to just include 100 loops for each IF and leave it at that :P

i.e. if it clears the formulas from the cells, the final 50 cells of the first IF option will appear 0 or blank due to solver not having anything to work with