Consulting

Thread: Solved: Insert Formula by VBA method

Solved: Insert Formula by VBA method

Hi All,

I had already built in the formula in the ColumnC before. Now, I would like to insert the formula by VBA method. The formula format is depended on the cell whether is merged.

Pattern:
    (i). C2 is single cell
    C2 =IF(BinStr2HexStr(CONCATENATE(RC[6]))=RC[-1],"",BinStr2HexStr(CONCATENATE(RC[6])))

(ii). C3 is merged with C4. (i.e. 2 cells are merged)
    C3 =IF(BinStr2HexStr(CONCATENATE(R[1]C[6],RC[6]))=RC[-1],"",BinStr2HexStr(CONCATENATE(R[1]C[6],RC[6])))

(iii). C5 is merged with C6,C7. (i.e. 3 cells are merged)
    C5 =IF(BinStr2HexStr(CONCATENATE(R[2]C[6],R[1]C[6],RC[6]))=RC[-1],"",BinStr2HexStr(CONCATENATE(R[2]C[6],R[1]C[6],RC[6])))

… upto n cells are merged.

Note BinStr2HexStr is my self-defined function.

Thanks,
    Ann

merged cells will make this very difficult. Are you trying to put the formula in column 9 or your column header "Bit Pattern"?
    Steve
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    Try:
    [vba]Sub Formula()
    i = 2 'row no.
    With Sheets("Sheet1")
    Do
    Select Case .Cells(i, 3).MergeArea.Cells.Count
    Case 1: .Cells(i, 3).FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(BinStr2HexStr(CONCATENATE(RC[6]))=RC[-1],"""",BinStr2HexStr(CONCATENATE(RC[6])))"
    Case 2: .Cells(i, 3).FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(BinStr2HexStr(CONCATENATE(R[1]C[6],RC[6]))=RC[-1],"""",BinStr2HexStr(CONCATENATE(R[1]C[6],RC[6])))"
    Case 3: .Cells(i, 3).FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(BinStr2HexStr(CONCATENATE(R[2]C[6],R[1]C[6],RC[6]))=RC[-1],"""",BinStr2HexStr(CONCATENATE(R[2]C[6],R[1]C[6],RC[6])))"
    End Select
    i = i + .Cells(i, 3).MergeArea.Cells.Count
    Loop Until .Cells(i, 4) = ""
    End With
    End Sub

[/vba]
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

Hi All,

Thanks for lucas and p45cal. p45cal, you are right. Your code is suitable to me. But, if i have the case 1,2,3,4,5....n (i.e merge area count), do i need to create total n case in the code? Have any other method to improve it. Just for interest. Thanks.

Thanks,
    Ann

Well, it's a balancing act. What's the max value of n? If it's, say, 7, then yes, the most practical way is to add a few more Case statements.

If it's much more than that then you could work out a way to construct the formulae in code and place them in the sheet.. but it'd be convoluted.

The next question I'd ask is whether the formulae have to be in the sheet at all? Would just seeing the results there do instead? It would be significantly easier to write code to calculate the results and place them in the cells.
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

Quote Originally Posted by p45cal
    It would be significantly easier to write code to calculate the results and place them in the cells.
    You could try:[vba]Sub Formula3()
    Dim BinStr As String
    i = 2 'row no.
    With Sheets("Sheet1")
    Do
    Set RngHexStr = .Cells(i, 3).Offset(, 6).Resize(.Cells(i, 3).MergeArea.Cells.Count)
    BinStr = ""
    For j = 1 To RngHexStr.Cells.Count: BinStr = RngHexStr(j) & BinStr: Next j
    HexStr = BinStr2HexStr(BinStr)
    If UCase(.Cells(i, 2).Value) = UCase(HexStr) Then .Cells(i, 3) = Empty Else .Cells(i, 3) = HexStr
    i = i + .Cells(i, 3).MergeArea.Cells.Count
    Loop Until .Cells(i, 4) = ""
    End With
    End Sub
    [/vba](the code above hasn't been indented properly by thecodenet.com because it doesn't cope with For and Next being on the same line - the code is still valid)
    p45cal