Consulting

Thread: decision tree

decision tree

I am hoping to figure out how to loop through a decision tree. I want to have a code to randomly pick through column A and chose a random value. take this value and put into "results" tab a1. Then move to column b in sheet 1, and only chose values that are associated with what was chosen in the first decision and put this into "results" a2. Then move the column c in sheet 1, chose only values that are part of the set, etc.. and put into "results" a3.

At the end I will have a decision of one possible route through my decision tree.

example- start - picks 2 from column a, then moves and picks d, then moves and picks 2a. This is it.. so in "results" I will see that I chose 2,d,2a..

thank you so much!!!!

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    Several assumptions have been made, among them:
    • That there's nothing anywhere in column 1 of Sheet1 but the section starts.
    • There is at least one totally blank row between sections
    • There are no blanks within the columns of each section (except at the bottom)
    • That each cell in each section's top row has a value in it.
    Try:
    [vba]Sub blah()
    Dim Route()
    ReDim Route(1 To 1)
    With Sheets("Sheet1").Columns(1).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants)
    For Each colm In .Areas(Int(.Areas.Count * Rnd + 1)).CurrentRegion.Columns
    Route(UBound(Route)) = colm.Cells(Int(colm.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants).Cells.Count * Rnd + 1)).Value
    ReDim Preserve Route(1 To UBound(Route) + 1)
    Next colm
    End With
    ReDim Preserve Route(1 To UBound(Route) - 1)
    Sheets("results").Cells(Sheets("results").Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1).Resize(UBound(Route)) = Application.Transpose(Route) 'vertical output
    'Sheets("results").Cells(Sheets("results").Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1).Resize(, UBound(Route)) = Route 'horizontal output
    End Sub
    [/vba]It may help understanding if I include a longer development version:[vba]Sub blah()
    Dim Route()
    ReDim Route(1 To 1)
    With Sheets("Sheet1").Columns(1).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants)
    x = Int((.Areas.Count ) * Rnd + 1)
    ' .Areas(x).CurrentRegion.Select
    With .Areas(x).CurrentRegion
    For Each colm In .Columns
    'colm.Select
    y = colm.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants).Cells.Count
    yy = Int(y * Rnd + 1)
    Debug.Print colm.Cells(yy) & ",";
    Route(UBound(Route)) = colm.Cells(yy).Value
    ReDim Preserve Route(1 To UBound(Route) + 1)
    Next colm
    ReDim Preserve Route(1 To UBound(Route) - 1)
    With Sheets("results")
    .Cells(.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1).Resize(, UBound(Route)) = Route
    End With
    End With
    End With
    Debug.Print
    End Sub[/vba]
    Last edited by p45cal; 12-05-2009 at 04:34 AM.
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    Why don't you just use a RAND function in results tgo generate a random row number and pick up that from column A, then use VLOOKUP to get the rest. Simpler than VBA.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xld
    Why don't you just use a RAND function in results tgo generate a random row number and pick up that from column A, then use VLOOKUP to get the rest. Simpler than VBA.
    Not with you there. I read that the OP wanted a random selection from subsequent columns in each section. Could you give an example?
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    I read this bit ... I want to have a code to randomly pick through column A and chose a random value ... as simply wanting a random value in column A.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Mac Moderator VBAX Guru mikerickson's Avatar
    I'm having trouble understanding what options go with what previous choices.

It looks that if the 1 is chosen as the Column A value, then the next choice would be between a,b; if 2 were chosen then second choice would be between c,d, etc.

At this point, I loose track,

If the first choice is 1 and the second choice is b, what are the options for the third choice?