Consulting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Default file save location in Powerpernt VBA

VBAX Mentor
    Yes I said that before because I didn't understand yet that it holds the true value of the default filesave path that the user gave in Option/Save tab!

I thought that recentfolderlist was some kind of MRU location and I agree that wouldn't tell you so much!

Under the Default, (Type) RegExpandSZ key you can find the default file save path and I've checked this from 2000/2003 so this is the answer to your question....

So am I not understanding you or are you looking for something else than your orginal question? (Yes I know I'm a nag but I'm sure I'm missing something here)
    I see no RegExpandSZ key.
    Could you export that key and show us the result here?

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    I see no RegExpandSZ key.
    Could you export that key and show us the result here?
    Hi Howard,

The reason that your not seeing this Key is that you're PP program has it's defaults set to the path of myDocuments on you're machine. (At least that's what I expect)

I've explained to you that's the default on my machines as well. As long as PP has it's default file save path targeting the special folder mydocuments (Or wathever you're calling this folder on your machine) the RegExpandSZ key will not be visible!

If you alter this path to let's say a subfolder of my documents then this key will appear in the Registry!

I will put a screendump of my key's (2002/2003) tommorow..I'm a bit beat right now....

Please take this little test:
    * Open the editor and browse to the key I've specified.
    * Go to your computers myfolder and look at it's path
    * If there is no such key in the editor than this means your pp default is targeting the same path as special folder mydocuments. (Check this)

* Ok now change the path to a subfolder in mydocuments
    * Do a refresh of the Registry editor and tada on all my machines the key appears! (And the big question is does this work for you as wel?)

* Now change the path back to the path of special folder mydocuments on your pc
    * Do a refresh and tada...the keys gone!

I'm testing this all on XP SP2 machines with 2002 en 2003 Pro Office on them. (NL and ENG OS versions)

Take the test and please tell me your findings?
    _________
    Groetjes,

Joost Verdaasdonk
    M.O.S. Master

Mark your thread solved, when it has been, by hitting the Thread Tools dropdown at the top of the thread.
    (I don't answer questions asked through E-mail or PM's)

VBAX Mentor
    Hi Howard,

The reason that your not seeing this Key is that you're PP program has it's defaults set to the path of myDocuments on you're machine. (At least that's what I expect)

I've explained to you that's the default on my machines as well. As long as PP has it's default file save path targeting the special folder mydocuments (Or wathever you're calling this folder on your machine) the RegExpandSZ key will not be visible!

If you alter this path to let's say a subfolder of my documents then this key will appear in the Registry!

I will put a screendump of my key's (2002/2003) tommorow..I'm a bit beat right now....

Please take this little test:
    * Open the editor and browse to the key I've specified.
    * Go to your computers myfolder and look at it's path
    * If there is no such key in the editor than this means your pp default is targeting the same path as special folder mydocuments. (Check this)

* Ok now change the path to a subfolder in mydocuments
    * Do a refresh of the Registry editor and tada on all my machines the key appears! (And the big question is does this work for you as wel?)

* Now change the path back to the path of special folder mydocuments on your pc
    * Do a refresh and tada...the keys gone!

I'm testing this all on XP SP2 machines with 2002 en 2003 Pro Office on them. (NL and ENG OS versions)

Take the test and please tell me your findings?
    Using a key that is not required to exist is a No No in a program.
    A program must only use registry keys that MUST exist.

The implication appears to be that if the key does not exist, then it defaults to something, my questions is effectively "What is 'something'?", on my system, "Something" is the Office11 directory. I've neve rchanged any setting in Powerpernt so that must be the default.

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base

Everything seams to work different on my system (I allready discribed what my defaults are)

And if your defaults are also correct then we can assume that this is also a dead lead (The registry key)

Well back to the drawing board...
    _________
    Groetjes,

Joost Verdaasdonk
    M.O.S. Master

Mark your thread solved, when it has been, by hitting the Thread Tools dropdown at the top of the thread.
    (I don't answer questions asked through E-mail or PM's)