Consulting

Thread: Array or multiple lookups help

VBAX Regular
    Array or multiple lookups help

Guys,

I am trying to put some error checking into a spreadsheet that people fill out, after completing some work.

Basically i need to make sure that when someone enters values against a location, that they are within a certain range. But the kicker is that there are multiple ranges against any given location and the values cannot cross into a new range even though it is the same location.

I have a attached a make shift spreadsheet to give you an indication of what i mean.

Any thoughts or comments on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gareth

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    Would values of A, 0.5, 1.0 be okay, but should that reject because the 1.0 is valid for A, but only if the start is >= 0.85?

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

VBAX Expert

Messed with it bit. Col I has a list created by Advanced Filter for Unique values. That in turn is used by Data Validation for Loc Name input. Then a sheet change sub checks the input table range. If there is a change in the table it checks that all three cells are inputted and checks the Start/End of the input data...

A little complicated but attempts to check everything!
    Cheers,

dr

"Questions, help and advice for free, small projects by donation. large projects by quote"

http:\\www.ExcelVBA.joellerabu.com

VBAX Regular
    Sorry about the late response new years and all that, but thanks for your comments, they are much appreciated

XLD:- Yes it should reject as the range is outside that section of location A

rbrhodes:- Thanks for your time and effort, this is pretty much exactly what i have been looking to do, i was just unable to come up with a working solution, with a few changes here and there i should be able to come up with a completed solution. I will just have to test now on actual data which has nearly 700 locations, so i will see how it is handled.

I was thinking i might add this as check locations button before the user saves, this way i can add a comment or a list of erroneous cells. So that every time the user enters a new location he is not prompted with an error.

I will let you know how i go.

Thanks again,

Gareth

VBAX Expert

Yes it's a stab in the dark as I don't know your real data...

It will give a message based on whatever it finds first - start or end that is 'out of range' and that might want to be looked at, but I was trying to outsmart the user and all <grin>

Let me know how it works out. You could even check my rudimentary website or email me (click my sig or username) for more help and/or more about me - I'm always looking for gigs!
    Cheers,

dr

"Questions, help and advice for free, small projects by donation. large projects by quote"

http:\\www.ExcelVBA.joellerabu.com