Consulting

Thread: Function Argument Window - Can it be expanded?

VBAX Regular
    Function Argument Window - Can it be expanded?

The Function Argument Window is the Excel window which lets you enter arguments for a formula in an input screen. We encourage our users to use it for our multi-parameter functions.

However, it only shows a maximum of 5 arguments. If you have more than that, the user has to scroll down to see the additional argument input fields.

We have functions with as many as 7 input arguments and I would like them all to show. Does anyone know a way to expand the size of the window?

I dont think so, as it is a built-in dialog (xlDialogFunctionWizard). The only option I can think of is to emulate it with your own userform, or let people know tabbing will get them to the next field without scrolling.

VBAX Regular
    That's what I suspected but the people on this thread have come up with solutions to problems I thought were unsolveable.

The Function Argument Window is such a nice little feature. It gives you the answer as you go along. In our application, the last few parameters are optional and further refine the answer. For example, if you leave out the last few parameters it might show National sales, but then if you specify the State, you would get the State sales, and if you specify Region you get the Regional sales. That's not exactly what ours does but the feature lets the user confirm that they're entering valid data as they go along and before they hit enter and get #VALUE!.

Also, you don't have to enter quotes around strings and cell references are easy to work with. I suspect I would have a hard time duplicating all that with my own function argument screen but maybe I'll take a shot at it some day.

The users are trained to scroll down to get at the last parameters but it's just not as nice as having them all in view.

Thanks for the reply!