Consulting

Thread: Questions About Windows Explorer 7 Display

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Questions About Windows Explorer 7 Display

I’ve been trying to make sense of the Windows 7 file system and at the moment I’ve been “exploring” the Windows Explorer display. And here’s my questions about “WinEx”:
    In my “Computer” library there are three folder entries:

$Recycle Bin
    ....Recycle Bin
    ....Recycle Bin

The properties in each of these entries call these items “folders”. And indeed the bottom two appear to be folders within the first (top) folder.
    Q1: What is the significance of the question mark in the top folder?
    ----------------------------------------
    The bottom 2 folders each contain the names of about 25 files (as expected), but the bottom folder’s list is identical to the folder above it.
    Q2: What is the purpose of having two folders with the same name and contents?
    ----------------------------------------
    In another part of the WinEx list being displayed is an entry named “Templates”. When I click on that entry, I get the following error message:

“C:\Users\Sid\Templates” is not accessible.
    Access is denied.

In the title bar of the message is this:

“Location is not available

Q3: What does that mean?? I see this kind of entry a LOT. If it’s not accessible, then why bother to display it?? When i see the word accessible, security comes to mind. Since I have the highest security rating (I’m the only one using this computer at home), it seems unlikely that security is the problem.
    -----------------------------------------
    This brings up another question regarding deleting an entry displayed in WinEx.
    Q4: Hypothetically, if I see two identical folder names at the same level (one is not a child of the other), is it OK to delete one of the two? It seems to me that I read in Help somewhere that deleting a folder deletes from the computer everything that is a child of that folder. In the case above (duplicates), then would all files in the deleted duplicate folder be also deleted from its duplicate too? That’s a scary problem.
    Sid
    Last edited by Cyberdude; 01-22-2010 at 05:28 PM.