Consulting

Thread: Off topic computer problem- I don't know who to turn to

VBAX Mentor
    Off topic computer problem- I don't know who to turn to

Hi, this forum has helped me with lots of programming problems in the past, but now I have a non-programing computer problem, and I don't know where to turn for help. (Can't find relevant answers on Google).

I'll illustrate my problem.
    I've tried downloading a pdf from a website. I then save the file to a location on my hard drive. When I go to the folder where I saved the file, I can't find it.
    I defined where it was to be saved. But the folder is empty. I've tried using explore to find the file, but it can't be found.
    If I try to resave the file, I'm told the file exists in the correct directory. I can see it- I can even open it! But if I try to locate it using explorer- no luck.

I'm using Windows XP SP3.
    I've tried downloading the file from IE7 and Firefox 3.5.7
    I'm using PDF X-Change.

I don't think it has anything to do with the PDF program though, as I've also had a similar problem with a couple of videos that I've downloaded using Real Player (again I can download, see the file in the save as dialog box, but not see the file- or the size of it in the folder window- nor can I search for it).

I've also tried saving the files to different folders, and to an external harddrive. Again with the same results. I've tried downloading the same pdf file from my wife's computer, without any problem at all- I can see the file and open it. She is also running XP, and the same PDF and Anti-virus program as me.

It just doesn't make sense to me.
    I've also run my anti-virus program twice. I'm using Zone Alarm, and it is uptodate.

Can anyone help me solve this problem?

Thanks

Have you tried to see if the file is a system file or hidden?

VBAX Mentor
    It's not hidden or a system file (according to the properties), and explorer is set to show both hidden and hidden o/s files.

I've tried looking for the files using the dialog boxes of other programs (as they are visible in their "own"), and I can't see them there.

All I have left is to run the search program on all hard drives.

VBAX Mentor
    Running the search on all drives throws up nothing.
    I've even copied the path from the saveas dialog box.

It was working fine at the end of last Novemeber.
    I have tried cleaning up the computer a bit, getting rid of "unneccessary" files- maybe it was one of those. I removed some java updates, and possibly some microsoft security updates - but not the newest ones.

Does anyone know what registry files contain such information?

I'm going to try and download a .doc file, and see if that downloads ok.

VBAX Tutor
    Running the search on all drives throws up nothing.
    I've even copied the path from the saveas dialog box.

It was working fine at the end of last Novemeber.
    I have tried cleaning up the computer a bit, getting rid of "unneccessary" files- maybe it was one of those. I removed some java updates, and possibly some microsoft security updates - but not the newest ones.

Does anyone know what registry files contain such information?

I'm going to try and download a .doc file, and see if that downloads ok.
    In Firefox, I'm using 3.5.8, you can adjust the download option to Ask you where you want to Save a File. Do you have that option on 3.5.7?

Tools --> Options--> Main then Downloads

I don't have PDF X Change. I don't have trouble saving any types of files. I have XP SP3.

Finding files

If the file is there somewhere and is not hidden, the following DOS BATCH file has found many such files for me. Create a BATCH file in the C: root directory with the content shown below. Name it FF.BAT (FF for "Find File"). Then, at the C: prompt, type FF, a space, and the name, or part of the name, of the lost file. If you know the extension, that's good. You can use wild cards (* or ?). For example, if your file was a PDF file that began with MYLOST...., then type: FF MYLOST*.PDF and ENTER. Not sure about the PDF part? Then type ff mylost*.* and ENTER. (Case does not matter)

A file named "FOUND.TMP" will be created in C:\, containing the whereabouts of all the files that match MYLOST*.PDF or whatever you have entered. It may take a minute or two - there's a lot of stuff to look through. The FOUND.TMP file will automatically be typed on the screen. The "file copied" message, if any, means that your existing FOUND.TMP file has been backed up as FOUND.PRE, also in C:\.

Here's the batch file:

===================================================

REM Ver Jun 20 2009 - 2:30 PM FF.BAT
    @ECHO OFF
    CLS
    IF $%1==$ GOTO WRONG
    ECHO.
    ECHO.
    ECHO.
    ECHO.
    :ROOT
    IF EXIST C:\FOUND.TMP COPY C:\FOUND.TMP C:\FOUND.PRE
    ECHO.
    ECHO.
    ECHO Searching for %1 starting in ROOT directory
    ECHO.
    DIR \%1 /S > C:\FOUND.TMP
    GOTO TYPERESULTS

:TYPERESULTS
    ECHO.
    TYPE C:\FOUND.TMP | MORE
    GOTO END

:WRONG
    ECHO Parameter required: file(part) to be found - Start again

:END

===================================================

{Lee}

VBAX Sage
    Usually when I 'lose' a file, it's because I didn't save it where I thought I was

When you get the Run/Save/Cancel, in the file area explicitly enter

C:\TESTSAVE.PDF

and then see if it's in C drive's root folder. That will tell you if you really can save a file

I've seen "My Documents" within "My Documents" within "My Documents"

Paul