Consulting

Thread: Cascading combo boxes from SQL Server

Cascading combo boxes from SQL Server

Good afternoon,

I'm not sure if this needs to be in the Excel or SQL section so apologies if I've stuck it in the wrong place:

I have an Excel userform with three combo boxes with choices populated from a SQL Server database for validation purposes.

What I would like to do is make the second and third combo box dependent on the choices selected from the previous combo box selection.

I have done a good Google search for cascading combo boxes but I can't find anything on how to accomplish this if using a SQL Server database as the source.

Somehow the choice of the second and third boxes needs to be filtered in the where clause of the SQL string, but I don't know how to pass this value in the vba code.

If anyone can point me in the right sort of direction I'd be most grateful.

Thanks,

Paul
    Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    I would do a retriev on the SQL database after each selection, picking those items that match the criteria. Much simpler than fancy Excel tricks to create csacading DDs.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Hi Xdl,

Thanks for your reply. Could you expand a bit on how to do this please?

At the moment I've got the SQL queries being fired off to the DB in the UserForm_Initialize() which populates all the drop downs simultaneously, I've tried filtering them here but either I'm doing it wrong or it just doesn't like it.

How can I set the query to only retrieve one set of results at a time and wait for the first drop down selection before populating the next?

Thanks again,

Paul
    Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    I would start by just firing the initial query and populate the first combo. When something is selected there, usethat value to fir the second and so on.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber