View Poll Results: Should the use of Range Names be recommended as good modelling pratice?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

13 25.49%
  • Yes

38 74.51%

Thread: Range Names : Good or Bad programming practice?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Range Names are very useful and generally good and I would recommend appropriate use of them.

I stress appropriate because they are just one tool in Excel's toolbox. If I try and screw in a screw with a hammer it won?t go very well ? that does not mean there is something wrong with the hammer and it does not mean I shouldn?t recommend the hammer for knocking in a nail. One should use the tool appropriate for the job in hand. The fact that some people don't know when or how to use named ranges is not an argument against them any more than the fact that some people don't know how to use Excel itself is an argument against Excel. Untrained users of almost anything are a liability.
    Enjoy,
    Tony

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.
    Teach him how to fish and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

I'm (slowly) building my own site: www.WordArticles.com

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    Range Names are very useful and generally good and I would recommend appropriate use of them.

I stress appropriate because they are just one tool in Excel's toolbox. If I try and screw in a screw with a hammer it won?t go very well ? that does not mean there is something wrong with the hammer and it does not mean I shouldn?t recommend the hammer for knocking in a nail.
    Cliched metaphors aside, can you give an example of an inappropriate use of a name.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber