Consulting

View Poll Results: Should the use of Range Names be recommended as good modelling pratice?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

13 25.49%
  • Yes

38 74.51%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Range Names : Good or Bad programming practice?

VBAX Regular
    Here is attachment

Here is attachment

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    named ranges work fine with almost every excel function, including vlookup. (I discussed problems with max and min earlier).
    I looked back at your discussionm on MAX and Min, and admit IU don't really understand your point. Can you explain it again?

On the VLOOKUP point you make, you could use dynamic indexes

= VLOOKUP(M1,A1:B200,COLUMN(B1)-COLUMN(A1)+1,FALSE)

then no need to use the (clumsier) MATCH...INDEX alternative.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Knowledge Base Approver
    Space Cadet
    I have an objection to make. There is no poll option for "I have no idea what a named range is and who its cousin VLookUp is" however I have put myself on the subscription for MrExcels free e-book so that I can teach myself a little more.
    Nothing annoys a non-conformist more than other non-conformists who refuse to conform to the rules of non-conformity.

Confused is my normal state of mind

Administrator
    I have an objection to make. There is no poll option for "I have no idea what a named range is and who its cousin VLookUp is" however I have put myself on the subscription for MrExcels free e-book so that I can teach myself a little more.

You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

The major part of getting the right answer lies in asking the right question...

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Expert brettdj's Avatar
    I think it's safe to say the largest crowd out there using spreadsheets are in the accounting/finance fields. In practice, when people in this field develop models, typically the models are not forever self-contained. In fact, most often sheets or modules of a model are copied/reused and moved from app to app. The pitfalls associated with this type of activity on an ongoing basis as it relates to prolific use of ranged names is seldomly if ever discussed when suggesting that people in general should use them habitually.

I would like to begin to see at least some precautionary statements associated with using named ranges in spreadsheet formulas rather than just telling people, "Hey, these things are great and you should use them a lot!"

I seem to be in the minority of excel developers (with some financial modelling background) who look further down the train track and notices that in the accounting/finance field range names have a tendency to lead to derailment. Unfortunately, at least in my case, it seems like I'm having to deal with the train wrecks after the fact on a more regularly occuring basis. Perhaps some of the wreckage could be avoided if newbie developers were given a headsup on some of the dangers instead of just the typical, "Here they are; go use em!" message.

Generally speaking... I say yeah, range names have their uses. I typically have 10-15 or so in my models used for just formula reference. Typically another 10 or so for VBA refs. I pre-qualify all my VBA only range names as "VBA_MyRangeName" so I know which ones relate to macros at a glance. When I work with new analysts on modelling fundamentals, I'm careful to point out that range names should be treated with extra caution. My experience has been that the newbie developers are unaware of the pitfalls.
    Amen brother, Amen.

VBAX Newbie

i love name, but I'm looking to retreive the cells address of a chart with VBA. Imagine the data source in DA220C230 and the chart is in A1 how could we manage to find this address with VBA (like we do by hand with the toolbar chart).
    Any idees??
    help will be welcome. )

Is it true that calculation of formulas working on named ranges is faster?

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    Is it true that calculation of formulas working on named ranges is faster?
    No significant difference that I can measure.

Hi Zack,

Being more or less considered the RangeName wizz, I cannot refrain from posting to this thread!!!

Quote Originally Posted by firefytr
    Now this can confuse the heck out of a newbie VBA progger! Think about this: In the worksheet environment, named ranges are good across sheets (aka tabs, so cross-tab), but not in VBA. Just like everything else in VBA (as you have pointed out, to your credit) it needs an explicit reference, uless you luck out and have that sheet as the activesheet. This would not be my idea of "efficient coding" or "best practices" in regards to coding etiquette. Much in the same sense that I would not assume the ".Value" should follow a range object reference.
    Of course the example you give is confusing because it (IMO) violates good VBA programming practice: qualifying the object you're talking to.

Using Range("test") is simply begging for trouble, whether you'd be using a range name or a cell address (so Range("A1") is equally bad), UNLESS you're deliberate about wanting to address the active worksheet (in which case you'll need a check to make sure a worksheet IS active!).
    Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

Quote Originally Posted by johnske
    Thanx Aaron didn't know that one - unfortunately (unless you could put it in a procedure {must look at that}) it wouldn't have helped in this instance cos there were around 8000 of them!!!
    I have a tool that fixes workbooks like that automatically.
    Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

Hi Kevin,

Quote Originally Posted by Zorvek
    [vba]Public Caption As Range
    Public CommandBar As Range
    Public CommandBars As Range
    Public Divider As Range
    Public FaceID As Range
    Public Level As Range
    Public PositionMacro As Range
    Public ShortcutKey As Range
    [/vba]
    Off topic:

I'd advise to stop using variable names that are identical to Objects, properties or methods. It'll get you into trouble.
    Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

Hi,

Sorry about the duplicate post, my Internet connection is on and off today.

My 2 cts now.

Range names are a great tool. If put to use with prudence. Aaron has phrased it well: too little people are aware of the pitfalls.

I use range names extensively when it comes to communicating with spreadsheets through VBA. On worksheets, I use them sparsely, mainly when I need dynamic ranges and when I refer to single cells that contain key parameters for an entire model.

I've written an article on my site about Range names: http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/ExcelNames.htm, which addresses the pitfalls too little I guess (Aaron did motivate me to add some about the problems).

I guess Charles Williams and my Name Manager is a must have utility for anyone using defined names more than once a year :-).

Not sure if you all are aware, but there is a beta of version 4 of the Name Manager available, which enables you to rename names (includes renaming in almost any object on your workbook and in your VBA code!). I have also added a feature which will show you all locations where a name is in use. I think if one makes extensive use of this tool (especially the last new option I mentioned can be most enlightening), a lot of the problems with defined names may be avoided or at least they become much more obvious.
    Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

Oh, I forgot to add a link to the beta:

www.jkp-ads.com/officemarketplacenm-en.asp
    Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

VBAX Newbie

I?ve been using variable names identical to object names for years and have yet to get into trouble. For the most part it's a myth that it does. Objects exposed in VB/VBA are almost always members of other objects and hence have to be qualified. If the name DOES conflict with an object name defined in the global name space then VB/VBA chooses the local name over the global one without error. Can it ever get confusing? Sure. But, at the same time, so can liberal use of objects defined in the global name space that imply ownership ? that?s where people get into the most trouble. Here are some rather obtuse examples illustrating just how predictable variable references really are. Both routines produce predictable results without fail:

[vba]
    Public Sub Test1()
    Dim ThisWorkbook As Variant
    ThisWorkbook = 23
    MsgBox ThisWorkbook
    MsgBox Application.ThisWorkbook.Name
    End Sub

Public Sub Test2()
    Dim Application As Variant
    Application = 23
    MsgBox Application
    MsgBox ThisWorkbook.Application.Name
    End Sub
    [/vba]

Kevin

Kevin,

Although I guess you're right, I still disagree. I find using object/method/property names as variable names very confusing.

But hey, if you're happy with it, ignore me! I know I would :-)
    Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

Just when this thread appeared to be dormant ......

Great to see you here Jan Karel, I've incoporated a copy of your Name Manager into a corporate addin that we use for auditing and debugging spreadsheets

While I am still firmly in the "no" camp I do want to pose a name range problem that has been bugging me. I posted this question some time ago at Experts Exchange but had no luck identifying a workaround

"I've built a workbook template with indentical input sheets and I'm using hyperlinks to local range names for major sections (Revenue in A100, Capex in A364 and so on)

Capex ='Alt 2. 10|U|T|M - Mid Mine Plan'!$A$364
    etc

All is going well until I rename a sheet, and voila, the
    hyperlink is now invalid. Has anyone seen this before, and more importantly is there anyway around it? Global range names wth hyperlinks work fine with a sheet name change, Excel just remaps like it normally does

Its an internal work example to be published on our intranet so code is out of the question"

Cheers

Dave

Hi dave,

Could you perhaps post a set of steps to repro the problem?
    Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Grand Master mdmackillop's Avatar
    In this question I discovered by accident that there is an "automatic" range name created using the column heading (Excel 2003). I can't replicate this in a new spreadsheet. Is there a setting to do this?
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8417&goto=newpost
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Post a workbook with sample data and layout if you want a quicker solution.

To help indent your macros try Smart Indent

Please remember to mark threads 'Solved'

Attached is a small example, there is a local name 'Daves Sheet'!Test at A1, a hyperlink linked to this range name in A4.

If the sheet name is changed from 'Daves Sheet' the hyperlink does not update the local range name change

Cheers

Dave

Yup, indeed the rename isn't working. It does work as expected with a globally defined name, but that doesn't solve your problem I guess.

I guess your workaround will need to be to either not use local named ranges in hyperlinks, or to rebuild the hyperlinks. Sorry, not much help I guess.
    Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP jkp-ads.com