Consulting

Thread: Speeding Up Vlookups

VBAX Master
    Speeding Up Vlookups

I use a lot of Vlookups in code and was wondering if there are any tips to speed them up? Examples is it quicker if the Database list is sorted numerically? Is it faster to use True or False for range lookup? any other ways to speed it up? I already have screen updating off.
    Thank You,
    Daniel Blois
    http://studenthacker.blogspot.com/

It is MUCH faster if the lookup column is sorted. If using MATCH, set the last argument to something other than zero (depending on sort order, look in Help) and remember to check if it returns an exact match.
    Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    I use a lot of Vlookups in code and was wondering if there are any tips to speed them up? Examples is it quicker if the Database list is sorted numerically? Is it faster to use True or False for range lookup? any other ways to speed it up? I already have screen updating off.
    Using VLOOKUPs in code is not exactly efficient, calling out to Excel is a costly verhead. Have you tried using Find?

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber