Consulting

Thread: Solved: Finding Bad Names

VBAX Expert
    Solved: Finding Bad Names

Has anyone ever come up with a subroutine to scan a worksheet to find broken or bad names? I'm receiving a $NAME? error, and I have combed the cells as best I can and I can't find one that appears to be invalid. Since the worksheet is rather extensive, I was wondering if VBA could be used to identify the cell containing the culprit?

VBAX Tutor
    I know i have seen that error, but i dont know what was wrong when i saw it.
    Could you post a "error" for us to try on?

First: select the Cell showing the $Name and Tool: Formula Auditing; Trace Precedents

In a blank worksheet, Insert; Name; Paste; Paste List.

Also Tools; Options; View; Formulas

VBAX Expert
    That's part of my problem. There's not just one cell. There are numerous cells all of a sudden showing the NAME error. I'm having to comb through each cell one at a time trying to find the bad name. I know I've made some recent changes so I've been trying to focus on those columns.

VBAX Expert
    Well, this is odd. I double clicked in one of the cells that had the NAME error and then when I clicked out of the cell, the NAME error in that cell and all the other cells ON THAT ROW went away. I went down the column doing that to each cell in the same column and that resolved all the errors one row at a time. I changed nothing. Wonder what could have caused that?

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    [VBA]
    Sub Macro1()
    For Each cel In Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeFormulas, 16)
    msg = msg & cel.Address & vbTab & cel.Formula & vbCr
    Next
    MsgBox msg
    End Sub

[/VBA]
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Post a workbook with sample data and layout if you want a quicker solution.

To help indent your macros try Smart Indent

Please remember to mark threads 'Solved'

VBAX Expert
    Does this help?
    Hmmm. Got an error trying to run that routine. Per my previous reply, all of the NAME errors are gone now. I didn't change anything, so I don't know what made them clear up. Thanks for the help.

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Grand Master mdmackillop's Avatar
    That code will error if there are no errors. You can easily create a name error by typing =XXX() in a cell (assuming you have no function of that name!)_
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Post a workbook with sample data and layout if you want a quicker solution.

To help indent your macros try Smart Indent

Please remember to mark threads 'Solved'

VBAX Expert
    That code will error if there are no errors. You can easily create a name error by typing =XXX() in a cell (assuming you have no function of that name!)_
    Thanks.

VBAX Expert
    I figured out why I received an error running the suggested script. I had Option Explicit set and the variables cel and msg had not been declared. I Dimed them and it works fine.

Thanks again,

Opv

VBAX Contributor
    Well, this is odd. I double clicked in one of the cells that had the NAME error and then when I clicked out of the cell, the NAME error in that cell and all the other cells ON THAT ROW went away. I went down the column doing that to each cell in the same column and that resolved all the errors one row at a time. I changed nothing. Wonder what could have caused that?
    Such issue sometimes happens with Analysis ToolPak Add-In functions in Excel formulas.
    Try to find & replace the 1st (equality) character of each formula by itself to reanimate it.
    Find text: =
    Replace by: =
    Apply it to all or selected cells
    Last edited by ZVI; 04-04-2010 at 04:06 PM.

Mac Moderator VBAX Guru mikerickson's Avatar
    The one row an a time thing suggests that looking at those names with the appropriate relative/absolute referencing would be a clue to where the error is.

VBAX Expert
    Such issue sometimes happens with Analysis ToolPak Add-In functions in Excel formulas.
    Try to find & replace the 1st (equality) character of each formula by itself to reanimate it.
    Find text: =
    Replace by: =
    Apply to all or selected cells
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind if it happens again.

David

VBAX Expert
    The one row an a time thing suggests that looking at those names with the appropriate relative/absolute referencing would be a clue to where the error is.
    Thanks. Fortunately, the issue has corrected itself. Of course, there's always next time.