Consulting

Thread: SUMIF IN VBA with external references

SUMIF IN VBA with external references

Hey, I am new in this forum and i need some help
    I've got a lot of excel sheets with the projected seels of each seller.

Now I want to consolidate all the info. I first uses sumif in all the sheets, but the arqchive is too heavy now. That's why i am trying to use a VBA code to do the function sumif.

I tried this one below. However using this code, it opens all the sheets get the data and then close them. It si impossilbe to do like that because there are a lot of sheets that the code will open.
    -------------------------------------------

[VBA]
    Sub Somase()
    Dim dblAnswer As Double

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Set ws1 = ActiveSheet
    Set wb = Workbooks.Open("C:\Users\Vinicius\Desktop\teste.xlsm")
    Set ws2 = wb.Sheets("Plan1")

ws1.Range("b1") = Application.WorksheetFunction.SumIf(ws2.Range("a1:a10"), _
    ws1.Range("a1"), ws2.Range("b1:b10"))
    ws1.Range("b2") = Application.WorksheetFunction.SumIf(ws2.Range("a1:a10"), _
    ws1.Range("a2"), ws2.Range("b1:b10"))

wb.Close False
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub
    [/VBA]------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is that a way to use a VBA code that i dont need to open all the sheets to atualize the data e to get a sheet less heavier?

Thank you very much. And sory about about my english mistakes.

Peace of mind is found in some of the strangest places.

i know how to use the sumif formula in excel across multiple worksheets.

I want to do that in VBA code becuase the worksheet is too heavy and I have to open all the worksheets where the data come from to uptade the data.

anyone can help me????

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    Can you post a sample sheet with a small amount of typical data and actual layout
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Post a workbook with sample data and layout if you want a quicker solution.

To help indent your macros try Smart Indent

Please remember to mark threads 'Solved'

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    ARe you talking about multiple workbooks or multiple worksheets, your explanation is confusing.

Eithre way, you need to better explain what the requirement is.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

I am talking about multiple worksheets.

Im gonna try to explain better.

I have 15 worksheets. In each worksheet there are the projected salles (Value and quantity) of 700 products for the whole year.

I create another worksheet that is a sum of all 15 worksheets. However this consolidated worksheet is a problem. First, because to uptade my data i need to open al the 15 worksheets and second because with al the sumif I did the consolidated worksheet is too heavy.

So that why i am asking you guys if there is a way i could use a vba code to make the worksheet faster and less heavy. And if is possible a way to uptade the data without having to open all 15 files.

Thanks.

Why do you say that you have to open all 15 worksheets? I don't understand what open a worksheet means, you certainly do NOT have to activatre them all to reference them in formulae. And what does too heavy mean?

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

To allow the remote references to be updated without opening the worksheet that contains the references, you can use a combination of Sum() and If()
    in an array formula.
    ={SUM(IF(A1:A20=C1,B1:B20)}

Quote Originally Posted by xld
    Why do you say that you have to open all 15 worksheets? I don't understand what open a worksheet means, you certainly do NOT have to activatre them all to reference them in formulae. And what does too heavy mean?
    Xld, what i want to do is create a worksheet that is a sum of all the 15 files. Is there a way to do that using a vba code? Using a vba code, once I make a change in one of the 15 files, do I need to open it to updated the sum in my consolidated worksheet?

Quote Originally Posted by Reactor77
    To allow the remote references to be updated without opening the worksheet that contains the references, you can use a combination of Sum() and If()
    in an array formula.
    ={SUM(IF(A1:A20=C1,B1:B20)}
    Reactor..how do i do that if the range and the sum range is in another file?

I do this in my work with 20 files that have needed ranges. But of course it was routine when i do references manually. I’m not a VBA guru yet

And using SUMIF I have to open all 20 files, but when I reopen master file and make some changes, my data has lost. So I find another way to solve my task, using SUM and IF separately.

Now you are saying files, previously you said worksheets. They are very different, so at this point I have no idea what you want to do.

If they are actual files and you use SUMPRODUCT, they don't all have to be open. But if you have 15 workbooks, I would suggest a database.

Abusus non tollit usum

James Thurber