Consulting

Thread: Roof Estimator

Roof Estimator

I have attached a database with an idea of what I want to do. I have set this up so that I can use it as a model. The issues I am having is the complexity of the initial data input. I don't feel most people are willing much less want to take the time to enter all of this information. This is where I am at. I am not happy with it and I know it can be better. The end user has to have very detailed knowledge of the end product. Once the database is created and set-up, it should be simple.

The idea is to have the database with all of the prices, and assorted information so the end user can change and or modify as needed. To keep it simple (ok in my mind) I thought it could be set-up in per foot/(If you have to have meters that could be ok as well) increments. Then with that in mind the user could set the conditions they wanted to do/estimate.

For example, Eave1 would contain
    the eave flashing, 2 runs of shingles, 10 6 penny nails, 0.25 hrs labor, felt paper. this would be what would be needed for the installation and the materials for 1'-0 of shingled roof at the eave.

Eave2 would contain
    Eave1 + 1/2"plywood (1'-0x1'-0), 5 extra 10 penny nails.

Then to do the estimate it would be 4500 squares with 150' eave1, 150' ridge1, 35' rake4, 20' rake1, 20' waltiein1. I would send SQl's to the database and I have the price. Needed less to say there would be a truck load of calculations, I got that!

OBP gave me a couple of really great pointers on how to get and set indexes of the records. The included database may have them.

The actual database and the code behind it is not here, I have moved it all over to VB6. Because I want to learn VB.net I will be doing the final version with that. I am undecided if I want SQL Express or Access. The database needs to be light weight and fast. So I am open to suggestions. I have tried to do something similar for something else (was that vague enough?) with a spreadsheet and for some reason it seems to overwhelm people initially and turns them off/ or against it. So I am looking at a different approach.

This model I am using is directed at metal roofs, standing seam. It can easily be used to do almost any style roof in the manner you wish. I am looking for guidance into the usage and usability of this project and to increase the flexibility.

I have the exe, which would make more sense, so if there is interest I will post it, the exe is incomplete also. I did say this is a work in progress right? NO? OK I am saying it now.

So ask me questions, show me better ways. I live to learn.

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    I had a quick look. A couple of thoughts.

If there are complex areas comprising many parts, eg Verge or Eaves, set up typical detail types where the components are defined
    eg Eaves comprises Gutter, Closers, Soffit, Undercloak etc. sized tio suit selected detail. The user need just choose a detail number.

Keep the quantities off the specification sheet. Add these later

For regular shapes, inputting simple data should generate quantities
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Post a workbook with sample data and layout if you want a quicker solution.

To help indent your macros try Smart Indent

Please remember to mark threads 'Solved'

I have a bad case of mind set so please bear with me.

Quote Originally Posted by mdmackillop
    If there are complex areas comprising many parts, eg Verge or Eaves, set up typical detail types where the components are defined
    eg Eaves comprises Gutter, Closers, Soffit, Undercloak etc. sized tio suit selected detail. The user need just choose a detail number.
    That is the kicker as far as I can see, because different panels take different things at different spacings. I can definatly see the value in setting up a blank assembly so to speak so the user can modify from there. But what I was thinking is that the assemblies would contain the data needed to expand on the base. The base being the whole roof. The database being the parts and assemblies. Once the database is filled with the data I can see that the end user would be entering the width, length, roof slope, locating the ridge, color (colour), gage (gauge), panel type, length of eaves, length of ridge, length of valley, ... Press the do it to it button and the list, weight and the price.

I don't have anything for any optional accessories so I need to add that for sure.

Keep the quantities off the specification sheet. Add these later
    I'm not sure I follow on this one, I am trying to get my head wrapped around it but I need to know how many gutter clips to send for example. Some are at 4'-0 oc, some 3'-0, some are 2'-0 so in the database it would be 0.25, 0.33, 0.5. I would have to multiply this with the length and I would have a good count. The screw count would already be right so I would add the quantity that is in the database to the existing count for the extra screws it takes for the eave or whatever condition the user selected.

For regular shapes, inputting simple data should generate quantities
    So you are saying that it should produce a preliminary list to do the job?
    I could take it a step further and produce a drawing also. With a shipping list. I do this daily.

The database I posted is just for testing, the live one (ok perky) doesn't have anything but the tables in it. I used the posted one to figure out how it should work and then rewrote it in VB. I like to check my data before commiting it to the database. A very hard lesson learned! The only thing I have done to it in realility is just get the input screens working with the database. The main screens to do the estimating I haven't started yet. I became extremly frustrated with the input not going as smooth as I wanted.

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Grand Master mdmackillop's Avatar
    My thinking was
    1. Fill in all the specification options
    2. Identify the optional standard details
    3. Detail the dimensions etc. to produce the quantities.
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Post a workbook with sample data and layout if you want a quicker solution.

To help indent your macros try Smart Indent

Please remember to mark threads 'Solved'

Just touching base to let you know I haven't forgot. I appreciate your input, I am working on getting my head around it. Like I said I have mind set LOL