I have attached a database with an idea of what I want to do. I have set this up so that I can use it as a model. The issues I am having is the complexity of the initial data input. I don't feel most people are willing much less want to take the time to enter all of this information. This is where I am at. I am not happy with it and I know it can be better. The end user has to have very detailed knowledge of the end product. Once the database is created and set-up, it should be simple.

The idea is to have the database with all of the prices, and assorted information so the end user can change and or modify as needed. To keep it simple (ok in my mind) I thought it could be set-up in per foot/(If you have to have meters that could be ok as well) increments. Then with that in mind the user could set the conditions they wanted to do/estimate.

For example, Eave1 would contain
the eave flashing, 2 runs of shingles, 10 6 penny nails, 0.25 hrs labor, felt paper. this would be what would be needed for the installation and the materials for 1'-0 of shingled roof at the eave.

Eave2 would contain
Eave1 + 1/2"plywood (1'-0x1'-0), 5 extra 10 penny nails.

Then to do the estimate it would be 4500 squares with 150' eave1, 150' ridge1, 35' rake4, 20' rake1, 20' waltiein1. I would send SQl's to the database and I have the price. Needed less to say there would be a truck load of calculations, I got that!

OBP gave me a couple of really great pointers on how to get and set indexes of the records. The included database may have them.

The actual database and the code behind it is not here, I have moved it all over to VB6. Because I want to learn VB.net I will be doing the final version with that. I am undecided if I want SQL Express or Access. The database needs to be light weight and fast. So I am open to suggestions. I have tried to do something similar for something else (was that vague enough?) with a spreadsheet and for some reason it seems to overwhelm people initially and turns them off/ or against it. So I am looking at a different approach.

This model I am using is directed at metal roofs, standing seam. It can easily be used to do almost any style roof in the manner you wish. I am looking for guidance into the usage and usability of this project and to increase the flexibility.

I have the exe, which would make more sense, so if there is interest I will post it, the exe is incomplete also. I did say this is a work in progress right? NO? OK I am saying it now.

So ask me questions, show me better ways. I live to learn.