Consulting

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Excel AutoNumber Files

Administrator
    Chat VP

You mean something simple like this? Or something more?

Option Explicit
    Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    With Sheets("Sheet1")
        [A1] = [A1] + 1
    End With
    End Sub
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

The major part of getting the right answer lies in asking the right question...

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.

Site Admin
    The Princess VBAX Guru Anne Troy's Avatar
    No...we'd need it to keep track, like invoice numbers.

I think there should be an entry each for single users and multiple users.
    ~Anne Troy

Administrator
    No...we'd need it to keep track, like invoice numbers.

I think there should be an entry each for single users and multiple users.

So a single workbook is going to be shared? How are you to determine who's using it - password protection?

PS: Will change my previous code to give protection for the number of times it's opened >>[vba]Option Explicit

With Sheets("Sheet1")
        .Unprotect
        Cells.Locked = False
        [A1] = [A1] + 1
        [A1].Locked = True
        .Protect
    End With
    End Sub
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.

Site Admin
    Hi, John. Did you read this whole thread?
    I think this is why it never got written up. Everybody is making it more difficult than necessary. I think what we need is this...

1. A place to store the last invoice (auto) number. Perhaps a TXT file that sits on the user's PC or on the server.

2. When we open the Excel file (or XLT?), we increment that number by one, and change it in the TXT, too.

If somebody goofs, well, then they can learn how to edit the TXT file.

Here's a perfect example, and I don't think it even uses a text file, but I think it's also only good for one person (but who cares? it's better than NO kb entry for this, and we can make a separate one for multi-users). Feel free to download it and steal the code. If it's password protected, don't crack it, just ask me for the password.

http://www.theofficeexperts.com/down...ExcelDownloads
    ~Anne Troy

Administrator

Part of what I'm trying to find out is: Is this invoice going to be printed (or maybe emailed)? - If so, it'd probably be better to do the count update on the printout command rather than on the Workbook_Open. i.e. the count would only be incremented if the order went ahead to the point of having an invoice printed for it...

I'm assuming you're going to have something like Invoice Number 00123 somewhere and, Served By: Joe Bloggs somewhere else.

If the workbook's unprotected (or even if not) you could have a small userform with command buttons (with your reps. name on them) pop-up on Open, they click their name and it goes on the invoice - with the invoice count for that person and they just enter the details.

All this would not be hard, but at the same time it would take more than two or three lines of code...

Regards,
    John

Site Admin
    There is no "joe bloggs", John. This has nothing to do with designating a user. I only mentioned multi-users so that more than one person can do invoices.

Why don't we just forget the multi-user thing for now.

I want to create invoices, and have the number increment by one. I don't care HOW that is done.
    ~Anne Troy

Administrator

Using your example (in the link) - this increments by one every time an invoice has been printed.

Regards,
    John

EDIT: Temp attachment has now been removed (John)
    Reason: Read next post + only done for one sheet (didn't realize there was more than one "Invoice" sheet)

Site Admin
    Sorry. I prolly wasn't real clear about that. I sold that site to MrExcel, so we can't just go take the whole file. Any way we can clear all the stuff out and just have the top sheet, with no data tracking? Then, just put it in the KB, not here.

LOL. You might wanna remove www.TheOfficeExperts.com from the properties, too. And put YOUR name in there instead of mine.
    ~Anne Troy

Administrator
    I only did it as an example. Gotta go out now - later...
    John

Site Admin
    ~Anne Troy

Administrator
    ....Any way we can clear all the stuff out and just have the top sheet, with no data tracking? Then, just put it in the KB, not here.

LOL. You might wanna remove www.TheOfficeExperts.com from the properties, too. And put YOUR name in there instead of mine.
    Done - with data tracking

previously yoinked code

While reading this I realized I had seen this question before. I got this from Aaron T. Blood at www.XL-Logic.com a while back. Seems to work. It uses a textfile and it increments each time the file is opened, whether you save it or not.

Sub Auto_open()
    On Error GoTo ErrorHandler
    One:
    Open "c:\Counter.txt" For Input As #1
    Input #1, x
    Close #1
    x = x + 1
    Two:
    Sheets(1).Range("A1").Value = x
    Open "c:\Counter.txt" For Output As #1
    Write #1, x
    Close #1
    Exit Sub
    ErrorHandler:
        Select Case Err.Number
        Case 53  'If Counter file does not exist...
            x = InputBox("Enter Number to Begin Counting With", "Create 'Counter.txt' File")
            Resume Two
        Case Else
            Resume Next
        End Select
    End Sub
    Steve
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Red face it that code good ??

Dim ws As Worksheet
     Set ws = Sheets("sheet1")
     Dim lr As Long
      lr = ws.Range("a65536").End(xlUp).Row
        With Sheets("Sheet1")
        If IsEmpty(.Range("A1")) Then
        .Range("A1").Value = 0
    Else:
        ws.Cells(lr + 1, 1) = Val(ws.Cells(lr, 1)) + 1