Consulting

Thread: Solved: Fields in Table problem

Solved: Fields in Table problem

Strange problem. The max number of fields in a table is 255 right? So I have like 171. I went into design view and changed some from Text to Number then when I went to save it, I got a too many fields in table error message. Anyone seen this before?
    Peace of mind is found in some of the strangest places.

VBAX Guru
    I would try a Compact & repair and then try it again.
    Or Import the tables in to a new blank database and see if it still does it.

Do you happen to delete fields often? Even though you only have 171 if you have deleted fields and added new ones, Access 2003 still tracks those fields even though you can't see them.

Copy the table and paste it back. Delete the old table and rename the new one. I should have posted the forum where I found that, but it was about 3 years ago. I actually posted about the same thing in this forum, I'll see if I actually posted the forum with my solution.
    Someday I'll understand everything...
    Even then...I'll still pretend I'm a beginner.

VBAX Guru
    Imdabaum, a Compact & Repair removes all traces of previous design work, it is what it is for. It also resets Autonumbers to Zero if you have deleted all the Records.

It's meant to remove all traces. I just know that's what I had to do with my problem because compact and repair didn't work for my problem. We tried it several times. That was my fail safe. When all else failed, Compact and Repair. Which I guess could just mean that I sovled a corruption problem by copying the table data and pasting it into a new table.
    Someday I'll understand everything...
    Even then...I'll still pretend I'm a beginner.