Consulting

Thread: Wildcard character for VBA

Wildcard character for VBA

Hello,

I am writing a program that consists of multiple user defined picklist values and will pull data from Access based on what is defined. Rather than write code for any possible combination of variables, I want to just pull all values if the variable is undefined - basically, set that variable to a wildcard to tell Access to give me all values for that field that match the other criteria.

I wrote this code for all of the picklist variables:
    If Sheets!Grouping.GrpPickList.Value = "" Then VALUE = "" * "" Else If Sheets!Grouping.GrpPickList.Value <> "" Then VALUE = Sheets!Grouping.GrpPickList.Value

The red part is what I am having problems with. In this statement, how do you make the value be a wildcard character? I have tried quotes and apostrophes and get different errors or no data is returned.

Thanks.

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Here's my code:

If Sheets!Grouping.GrpRMTPickList.Value = "" Then RMT = "All" Else If Sheets!Grouping.GrpRMTPickList.Value <> "" Then RMT = Sheets!Grouping.GrpRMTPickList.Value
    If Sheets!Grouping.GrpEngineerPickList.Value = "" Then Engineer = "All" Else If Sheets!Grouping.GrpEngineerPickList.Value <> "" Then Engineer = Sheets!Grouping.GrpEngineerPickList.Value
    If Sheets!Grouping.GrpJobTypePickList.Value = "" Then JobType = "All" Else If Sheets!Grouping.GrpJobTypePickList.Value <> "" Then JobType = Sheets!Grouping.GrpJobTypePickList.Value
    If Sheets!Grouping.StimPicklist.Value = "" Then StimType = "All" Else If Sheets!Grouping.StimPicklist.Value <> "" Then StimType = Sheets!Grouping.StimPicklist.Value
    If Sheets!Grouping.RRLPicklist.Value = "" Then RigRL = "All" Else If Sheets!Grouping.RRLPicklist.Value <> "" Then RigRL = Sheets!Grouping.RRLPicklist.Value
    SDate = Range("SDate").Value
    EDate = Range("EDate").Value
    If RMT <> "All" And Engineer <> "All" And JobType <> "All" And StimType <> "All" And RigRL <> "All" Then
    Sql = "Select WELLCOMP_NAME, t4EngName, Project_Type, StimulationType, RigRL, MaxOft2TaskEnd, t1AFEAmt, t5RMT, CompletionMonth, IncBOPD, IncMCFPD, IncBOEPD, AMOUNT, ActIncOil, ActIncWater, ActIncGas, ActIncBOE " & _
    "From Workover_Data_Table " & _
    "WHERE t5RMT = ('" & RMT & "') and Project_Type = ('" & JobType & "') and StimulationType = ('" & StimType & "') and t4EngName = ('" & Engineer & "') and RigRL = ('" & RigRL & "') " & _
    "AND MaxOft2TaskEnd > #" & SDate & "# " & _
    "AND MaxOft2TaskEnd < #" & EDate & "# "

It's working, and I went ahead and wrote code to pull any possible combination and it works, but I would still like to know just to have it pull everything if no value is specified.