Consulting

Thread: add-in error with checkbox value

VBAX Newbie
    Question add-in error with checkbox value

I have vba code that gets values from the checkboxes on a slide using Oleformat.object.value. however when I save this code as an add-in in a ppam file and load that ppam into a powerpoint presentation the code fails with the message oleformat object failed. Why does this code work in a module but not as an add-in?

VBAX Master
    John Wilson
    Microsoft PowerPoint MVP
    Amazing Free PowerPoint Tutorials
    http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/powerpoi...tutorials.html

VBAX Newbie

I have a blank presentation which contains quite a bit of code which I was hoping to make into a ppam that could be loaded into a storyboard presentation. The bit of code that it fails on is:

Dim i As Integer
    'checkboxes
    For i = 0 To 21
    oPPTest.SlideMaster.Shapes("CheckBox" & i + 1).OLEFormat.Object.Value = Presentations(1).Designs(1).SlideMaster.Shapes("CheckBox" & i + 1).OLEFormat.Object.Value
    oPPSumm.SlideMaster.Shapes("CheckBox" & i + 1).OLEFormat.Object.Value = Presentations(1).Designs(1).SlideMaster.Shapes("CheckBox" & i + 1).OLEFormat.Object.Value

Next i

The code creates two new presentations call oPPTest and oPPSumm and I am trying to copy information from the storyboard presentation into the two new ppt files. Everything works fine when I have the storyboard open and the add-in code in a separate pptm file. However when I compile the code into a ppam file and try to run the code from a button on the ribbon, the code fails

VBAX Master
    My guess is Presentations(1) is the problem. Is this always the storyboard?

I would have code that sets the Active Presention to an object var BEFORE oponing the two new presentations

[vba]Dim oSource As Presentation
    Set oSource = ActivePresentation

.......'open oPPTest etc

oPPTest.SlideMaster.Shapes("CheckBox" & i + 1).OLEFormat.Object.Value = oSource.Designs(1).SlideMaster.Shapes("CheckBox" & i + 1).OLEFormat.Object.Value
    [/vba]
    John Wilson
    Microsoft PowerPoint MVP

VBAX Newbie
    Thanks for that idea - I will add that code in but I know that it is picking up the right presentation as the other textboxes are being updated correctly. The error is about the Oleformat.object.value and I am not sure about activex objects being inserted in an add-in. Could that be the problem and if so is there any way around it?

Thanks again

VBAX Master
    Works from an AddIn here. How are you calling the AddIn code? Have you written xml to create a ribbon entry or a macro to create a menu / toolbar.

Do you get an error message?

Ideally code should be

oPPSumm.SlideMaster.Shapes("CheckBox" & CStr( i + 1)) 'ie convert integer to string

But I don't see why your code would actually fail

John

Post me the ppam if you want john ATSIGN pptalchemy.co.uk
    John Wilson
    Microsoft PowerPoint MVP

VBAX Newbie
    I am writing a macro in vba and saving the file as a ppam. Then I goto powerpoint options and add the add-in by browsing to its location. The error given is oleformat.object.value failed. I am back into work on Monday and will try your suggestions then. Thanks for the help