Consulting

Thread: setting a default value

VBAX Newbie
    setting a default value

Hello guys,

Got a slight problem and would need some help quickly, please.
    I m still working on a company tool for our storage management which is already working pretty well.

On a Form i can work with all the datasets but here is the problem i got:
    Most datasets are not complete, which means that only a few data are defined and a few are empty.
    e.g. one dataset contains of: article number, amount of parts, price per part, storage position
    but on a few datasets there is only an amount of parts, a price per part and the storage position set, and the article number stays empty.

Now i have a tool on that form, that lets me transfer a certain amount of a part (not necessarily all of them) to a different storage position.
    I solved this wih the following procedure:
    - I m looking up each value with Dlookup and write it on a string or integer.
    - I m doing the calculation for the new value of amount of parts
    - i m creating a new dataset with INSERT INTO and all values that didnt change and the new value for amount of parts

If a dataset is complete, this procedure works well and without any problems.
    but if the dataset is incomplete, the Dlookup function cant look up a certain value and i get the error message.

Now my question: Is there a way i can get my datasets a default value which will be taken in case that one part of my dataset is empty?
    If yes, how can i do that since setting a default value in my table somehow doesnt work.

Thanks in advance

Oliver

What is the primary key for each record?

Are you using an AutoNumber as the primary key?
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach
    Microsoft Access MVP -2010-2015

Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

In your DLookup, you may want to use the NZ function,

NZ(Dlookup("Amount", "Parts", "ID= " & Parts.ID), 0)
    If Amounts value is null, then you get 0.
    Someday I'll understand everything...
    Even then...I'll still pretend I'm a beginner.