Consulting

Thread: Random Knowledge question...

Random Knowledge question...

Every once in a while we build queries that take Access a very long time to run. Sometimes these queries take so long that you attempt to multi-task, then when you return Access says it is not responding...

Now for most users this is a hearbreaker, however I understand that even though it says that, it will respond once that query finishes.

So my question is.. Do we have any sure way of knowing when that display is occurring because the database is too busy or when it is really just hosed?

Yes this may be a bad reflection of how I write my queries...
    Someday I'll understand everything...
    Even then...I'll still pretend I'm a beginner.

All depends on what you are trying to do and how much data there is. I run a query to return 2,500 records out of over 2,000,000 records and it takes about 5 seconds using MSAccess 2003. Sometimes 10 seconds depending on network volume.

Where is the data and how much are you trying to retrieve?
    ttfn

Kicker

I'm migrating data to a new database. We were using SQL Server and now they want to use PEGA. I was trying to pull 400,000+ records joined to two other tables with PKs and FKs setup. Each of those has up to 10-30 records associated with it. As far as network quality, you'd think it'd be better considering how large the company is, but they hire out to third parties to maintain it all.
    Someday I'll understand everything...
    Even then...I'll still pretend I'm a beginner.