Consulting

Thread: Sleeper: Simple Hyperlink Question

Sleeper: Simple Hyperlink Question

If I have a link in an excel sheet to www.yahoo.com (so cell A1 in excel SHEET1 reads 'www.yahoo.com '). And in Sheet2 of the same file is linked to cell A1 of SHEET1 (so cell A1 in SHEET2 reads
    "=HYPERLINK(Sheet1!$A$3)")

I don't want to show the link in SHEET2, but rather show an icon or something cool that looks attractive and presentable.

How do I do that?

Thanks in advance

In a nutshell, if I have a cell that reads "=HYPERLINK(Sheet1!$A$3)" and don't want it to show what it's linked to, but rather I want to show a cool icon or a word, and to keep the hyperlink, how do I do that?

The only thing I can think of is to add some clip art image and assign a hyperlink to that. The issue is that it won't read the hyperlink from Sheet1!$A$3 though, but will rather just take you to that cell. If you could put the real hyperlink directly in the image it would work, but I don't think that's what you want to do, is it?

The only other thing I can think of is to maybe create the same thing, but make a BeforeFollowHyperlink event (I think that's what it was) to evaluate the target and follow it's contents instead of activating the cell. Just thinking out loud here, but it may work...
    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Link via a word is easy, just insert the word, select the cell and choose insert => hyperlink and you can hyperlink everything you want.

Quote Originally Posted by kpuls
    Hi Shaolin,

The only thing I can think of is to add some clip art image and assign a hyperlink to that. The issue is that it won't read the hyperlink from Sheet1!$A$3 though, but will rather just take you to that cell. If you could put the real hyperlink directly in the image it would work, but I don't think that's what you want to do, is it?

The only other thing I can think of is to maybe create the same thing, but make a BeforeFollowHyperlink event (I think that's what it was) to evaluate the target and follow it's contents instead of activating the cell. Just thinking out loud here, but it may work...
    Thanks a bunch. I will try it. Question: How do I use BeforeFollowHyperlink?