Consulting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Solved: When to add custom menus?

I'm marking this thread solved since the visibility at autoexec was what I was looking for. I might, however, start a few new threads on related topics, because my next step is to push this into a class module, and I'd like to learn from the experiences of others since I'll be using that module quite a bit over the next month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by MOS MASTER
    There's no such thing as sufficient security but protecting your project would be a good start. And as you suggested the use of DLL code is a good way of protecting you're main code. The code in the project will always be vullnerable.
    Indeed, but short of making the global template read-only for end users and password protecting the project, what else can be done when DLLs are not an option?

With most of my clients, I'm not concerned with someone stealing my code, since more often than not, my contracts stipulate that the clients own the finished code, but in this particular case, I'm working with some sensitive data, and I have database and ftp usernames and passwords stored in the code. That could potentially lead to some mischief if it were inadequately protected. If anyone has additional ideas about securing the project, I'm all ears.

Quote Originally Posted by MOS MASTER
    The main cause of template screw-ups is users that can access the macro's by the ALT+F8 list. You always have to make sure non of your vital sub's are visible in that list. (But I think the OP knows how to do that)
    Yes, I do. Since I'm doing work for several distinct organizations, I have a few temporary routines stored in normal.dot that I use to configure Word to point to the correct directories for startup and workgroup templates depending on the organization, and I use ALT+F8 to access them, so I frequently see anything that hasn't yet been hidden. In fact, this is the very reason that I don't make it more convenient for myself.

VBAX Mentor
    I'm marking this thread solved since the visibility at autoexec was what I was looking for. I might, however, start a few new threads on related topics, because my next step is to push this into a class module, and I'd like to learn from the experiences of others since I'll be using that module quite a bit over the next month or so.

Indeed, but short of making the global template read-only for end users and password protecting the project, what else can be done when DLLs are not an option?

With most of my clients, I'm not concerned with someone stealing my code, since more often than not, my contracts stipulate that the clients own the finished code, but in this particular case, I'm working with some sensitive data, and I have database and ftp usernames and passwords stored in the code. That could potentially lead to some mischief if it were inadequately protected. If anyone has additional ideas about securing the project, I'm all ears.

Yes, I do. Since I'm doing work for several distinct organizations, I have a few temporary routines stored in normal.dot that I use to configure Word to point to the correct directories for startup and workgroup templates depending on the organization, and I use ALT+F8 to access them, so I frequently see anything that hasn't yet been hidden. In fact, this is the very reason that I don't make it more convenient for myself.
    For Office VBA, there's no way to protect code. Password protection of a project is useless if the code really has to be protected.

One must use VB 6 DLLs (or DLLs in other languages pre-.NET, as .NET does not protect code).

See http://www.atomicpark.com/xq/aspx/mi...oductlist.html

and

http://www.atomicpark.com/xq/aspx/mi...oductlist.html.

In that case, it would appear that I've done all that I can do in my current circumstance.

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    In that case, it would appear that I've done all that I can do in my current circumstance.
    It seams you have and glad to see you've made it work!

And Howard is correct that there's no such thing as protection in the Office enviroment. (For those who know the way)

A DLL is and will be the closed thing to real protection. (Until someone reverse engineers that one aswell.)

Good luck on your projects!
    _________
    Groetjes,

Joost Verdaasdonk
    M.O.S. Master

Mark your thread solved, when it has been, by hitting the Thread Tools dropdown at the top of the thread.
    (I don't answer questions asked through E-mail or PM's)