Consulting

Thread: Conditional Formats "Cell Colors"

Conditional Formats "Cell Colors"

Greetings all.
    I recorded a macro that showed me how to highlight a range of cells if a certain condition was met (duplication for example).

Selection.FormatConditions.AddUniqueValues
    Selection.FormatConditions(Selection.FormatConditions.Count).SetFirstPriority
    Selection.FormatConditions(1).DupeUnique = xlDuplicate
    With Selection.FormatConditions(1).Interior
        .PatternColorIndex = xlAutomatic
        .Color = vbRed
        .TintAndShade = 0
    End With
    This works fine but now i am trying to (via VBA) test to see if that cell's color is red, blue, green, etc and if so do something with it but i am having no luck as i am not sure how to test to see if cell has been formatted to a color via a format conditions?

i have tried using
    If ActiveCell.FormatConditions = vbRed Then
        ' this returns the value -4142
        ' do something here
    end if
    but i am starting to realize for some reason, the cell itself is not really the color red? anyone able to help me out?

Don;t know if there is extra functionality in 2007 for doing this but in xl2003, the only way to test for the cf colour was to mimic the cf condition that produces the colour

In this instance, it looks like you are testing for duplicates so

if your data is in column A then something like

If WorksheetFunction.CountIf(Sheets("Sheet1").Columns("A"), activecell.value) > 1 then
        'duplicate
    else
        'not a duplicate
    End if
    hoping someone can show that there is an easier way to do this in 2007 though as this has been a bugbear about excel for a while
    Rgds

Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

...but this is being set by conditional formatting and as per your page, the functions don't seem to cover that unless I'm missing somethng
    Rgds

Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    You are right, I gave the wrong link. It should have been http://xldynamic.com/source/xld.CFConditions.html

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber