Consulting

Thread: Customizing Subtotal

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    VBAX Master
    Thumbs down Customizing Subtotal

When we are working with advanced filters in excel, we can have subtotal which use some pre-defined functions.

Now, what if I want to have subtotal to use an UDF? Is it possible? How could I define a number for my UDF?

I mean something like:

[VBA]

.Subtotal GroupBy:=5, Function:=myFunction, TotalList:=Array(5) _

, Replace:=True,
    PageBreaks:=False, SummaryBelowData:=False
    [/VBA]
    Best Regards,

Carlos Paleo.

To every problem there is a solution, even if I dont know it, so this posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

If Debugging is harder than writing a program and your code is as good as you can possibly make
    it, then by definition you're not smart enough to debug it.

http://www.mugrs.org

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Master
    Anybody to at least confirm, it's not possible?
    Best Regards,

Carlos Paleo.

To every problem there is a solution, even if I dont know it, so this posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

If Debugging is harder than writing a program and your code is as good as you can possibly make

From what I can see in the object browser, in Excel 2010 it supports xlAverage, xlCount, xlCountNums, xlMax, xlMin, xlProduct, xlStDev, xlStDevP, xlSum, xlVar and xlVarP. What's really interesting though is that is also supports xlUnknown...

The only way I can see to get your function in there would be to make yours part of the XlConsolidationFunction Enum. I'm not quite sure how you'd go about doing that though... I know we can create our own Enums, but can we add to an exisiting one?
    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    My guess would be that you have to roll your own subtotalling routine, including identifying start and end points and the line insert. I doubt you would be able to tap your UDF into the builtin subtotal.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Master
    Well guys, as it was supposed to be Excel 2007 I believe I better follow another path, than to try to use my own UDF there... Thanks for the replies.
    Best Regards,

Carlos Paleo.