Consulting

Thread: How to auto-populate a multiple page PDF form?

How to auto-populate a multiple page PDF form?

Hello all,
    I am wondering how to auto-populate a multiple page PDF form from Excel data. What type of code or scripting is needed? Does something already exist?
    Kindly,
    Jennifer

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    I don't know what you are using to create PDF, but I have found that inserting page breaks where required works fine for me.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

VBAX Regular
    If I read you right here, you have an existing .pdf form that you want to populate from your spreadsheet data. The way I would typically do this would be to go to Zamzar.com and convert the .pdf into a Word or Publisher file that your system could read and then use the Mail Merge function on Word or Publisher to generate individual copies of the forms( for printing or emailing or whatever).

There will be some fiddling around to get the mail merge to look decent(I find Publisher easier to work with for this sort of stuff), but it will save you from typing each form out individually.

Cheers,

Hello Shawn, thank you for the reply. I would need to send the file back via email to the client as a PDF form. So converting to word, auto populate, and then converting back to the PDF form is the process? I am wondering if I can setup something to do this automatically.

Hello XLD, The PDF are generated using professional version.

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    Professional version of what? Did you try inserting page breaks?

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

VBAX Regular
    Jennifer, I'm still not entirely sure what you are trying to do here. I was assuming that the .pdf form you want to auto-populate was already generated (for instance by a third party). My solution was what I typically do when I am given an existing form that I pull off the internet, for example. You should obviously adapt my procedure for your situation. For instance, if you have software that can convert .pdfs to Word you don't need to use Zamzar.

From what it sounds like you want, you may need something like the Add-in available on the following page to save individual documents for each of the merged forms. (Disclaimer: I have never used this Add-In, use at own risk - but it seems to be right what you would need).

http://www.gmayor.com/individual_merge_letters.htm

Once you have saved the auto-populated forms individually, you can then convert them to .pdf(using whatever software you are using) and email them. This process could be automated using VBA, I'm sure, but more details would be necessary.

I'm not very familiar with .pdf conversion software myself, so I can't really help you there.

Cheers,