Consulting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best book to learn VBA?

Best book to learn VBA?

what is the best book to use to learn VBA, that is easy to understand and goes in depth into all the tools of VBA and has many different examples?

VBAX Mentor
    what is the best book to use to learn VBA, that is easy to understand and goes in depth into all the tools of VBA and has many different examples?
    There is no "best" book.

Which book to start with depends on which Office app interests you most and what is your programming background.

VBA is actually made up of a subset of VB and, for each app. an application dependent object model.

If you seriously want to learn VBA, learn VB first.

Best VB book is likely Gary Cornell's Visual Basic 6 from the Ground Up.

If Word is the app of interest, see http://www.standards.com/index.html?WordVBABooks.

A number of the books listed will also help for more general VBA that may be used with Excel and Access, in particular the book by Ken Getz.

For Excel, start with books by John Walkenbach.

For Outlook, start with Sue Mosher's book.

VBAX Expert
    There is no "best" book.
    Indeed. Individual learning styles differ. Different approaches work for different apps. Different students of VBA come to the table with varying experience in programming.

For some people, like me, books are only a very small part of the VBA learning process. I have a ton of books on VBA development for Excel, Access, and Outlook, and they are valuable references, but I find I learn much more from trying to "just do it", trying to answer questions here and at other fora, and from working with other forum experts to get my own questions answered.
    Regards,

Patrick

I wept for myself because I had no PivotTable.

Then I met a man who had no AutoFilter.

Microsoft MVP for Excel, 2007 & 2008

VBAX Newbie

Site Admin
    Jedi Master
    We do offer training here (www.vbaexpress.com/training) but no books. You can check out some books here (http://www.mrexcel.com/sunshop/index...ion=&id=&subid)

Good and Cheap

VBA for Modelers by S. Christian Albright

This is a good book to help learn VBA.

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    John Walkenbach does have some good books. Also, check out the books by Stephen Bullen, Rob Bovey and Josh Green, excellent as well. Bill Jelen's (aka MrExcel) latest VBA book is good too IMHO, VBA and Macros for Microsoft Excel.

Jumpman,

I've been trying to teach myself some VBA and recently bought "Dummies for VBA". Based on other Dummies series books I've read in the past, I expected this book to be just as engaging and very easy to follow. I've been very disappointed thus far and I am now searching for better book.

Here is one I have found: The Absolute Beginner's Guide to VBA

Scroll down towards the bottom of the page.

Administrator
    2nd VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Master malik641's Avatar
    There is no "best" book.
    Definitely.

Isn't that kind of a hard question in general? Whose going to read 5 beginner books about the same Microsoft App for VBA? I know I wouldn't. I'd go beginner, advanced, then crazy ridiculous.

But also like Howard said, whatever app interests you the most. Then work your way down the list.

I hope that jumpman checks up on this thread...as it's the only post he made so far...

And welcome, btw.

New to the forum? Check out our Introductions section to get to know some of the members here. Feel free to tell us a little about yourself as well.

VBAX Expert
    I'd go beginner, advanced, then crazy ridiculous.
    I go right for crazy ridiculous
    Regards,

Patrick

I wept for myself because I had no PivotTable.

Then I met a man who had no AutoFilter.

Microsoft MVP for Excel, 2007 & 2008

Administrator
    2nd VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Master malik641's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewspatrick
    I go right for crazy ridiculous
    I tried...but then I felt crazy stupid.

New to the forum? Check out our Introductions section to get to know some of the members here. Feel free to tell us a little about yourself as well.

Hi All,

Programming.Excel.with.VBA.and.dot.NET.Apr.2006
    Please check:
    http://www1.7622.com/OReilly.Program...T.Apr.2006.chm
    or
    http://www2.7622.com/OReilly.Program...T.Apr.2006.chm

AutoCAD.2006.VBA.A.Programmers.Reference.Sep.2005
    http://www2.7622.com/Apress.AutoCAD....e.Sep.2005.pdf
    or
    http://www1.7622.com/Apress.AutoCAD....e.Sep.2005.pdf

Good luck
    kysu2tung

Although I, too, will agree with the "no best book" philosophy, my personal favourite is John Walkenback's Excel 200x Power Programming With VBA. I've consumed it cover to cover, and still refer back to it.

Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

VBAX Newbie
    I read through at least 4-5 books on VBA... Mr Excel, Mr Spreadsheet and a few others... another that helped was Master Visually excel 2003 vba programming...
    If you live near akron, oh. Bill Jelen (mr excel) has a one day workshop that is outstanding... the class made a word of difference for me getting me started in the "right" direction.

VBAX Regular
    VBA books by Andrey Garnaev (in russian ;) )

When You can read russian:
    then I suggest You books by Andrey Garnaev:
    http://www.apmath.spbu.ru/~kmms/garnaev/default.htm

I have A. Garnaev VBA, in the Original, BHV-Saint Petersburg, Saint Petersburg, 2005, 820 pp. (in Russian)
    and it is very good book.

VBAX Regular
    John Walkenbach's Power Programming with VBA is an excellent starting point, as well as good reference material as you go.

VBAX Mentor
    John Walkenbach's Power Programming with VBA is an excellent starting point, as well as good reference material as you go.
    That book is for Excel.

VBAX Contributor
    If we are talking books we are talking two things; learning and referencing a subject, right? books are still the best for referencing, but these days there are new methods of learning like video tutorials, I found myself in the beginning stage of learning and video tutorials a better way to learn faster than a book (at the beginning learning stage) after that you keep you books to keep learning. I got some for .Net Excel, Access, etc, and before taking a class I get the video tutorial, take the class (including the class book that some times is hard to assimilate a 500 page book in a 16 class semester) and then read the books for ever. These video tutorials are very affordable from 20 to 100 dollars, and no I'm, not talking about Video Professor, those are very old way to learn, the new ones are more like recording a class, or somebody reading you the book and giving you samples in the IDE. Also let's not forget online video tutorials like http://www.learnvisualstudio.net/ and other good sites. Again this is when you start learning a programming language (with this I mean the majority of the Forum members)

VBAX Regular

Im looking for a book to learn VBA aswell, However being a Commerce grad through and through have absolutely no prior experience with coding.

I am able to record macro and do minor editing. But writing one from scratch.
    Only need macros for excel though..

Any books that someone can suggest me?

Thanks in advance