Consulting

Thread: Ways to Improving Logical Thinking?

Question Ways to Improving Logical Thinking?

Hello Every one,

It's seems like a stupid Question. But Many like me are just hangup on this concept.

My Studies didn't have any Mathematical Background, I am Arts Graduate.

I am hanging out when i am trying to write a code, Because lack of Logical Thinking Practices.

I have seen some people here, They are writing the same code in Different ways.

Here My question is how can I improve my Logical Programming skills and Is there any games of puzzles available to practice on that.

Is there any paper work to do before start writing a Code.

Please don't make jokes here, I am really struggling. Please Give your Valuable suggestions.

Thank you one and all,

Krrish
    Happiness keeps u sweet, trials keep u strong, sorrow keeps u human, failure keeps u humble, success keeps u glowing, but only God keeps u going

I was also an Arts graduate. Anyone can learn. Just takes time. I often feel very behind compared to others who have had that intense background. It's the old motto. Practice, practice, practice. And in between practicing see if you can pick up some books on Object Oreinted Programming. APIs are a great way to go. Unfortunately if you are looking for Microsoft APIs, I haven't found a page as robust as Java's, so you end up doing a lot of google searches.(I digress) APIs will help you understand what is returned by different sub calls or functions/methods so you can be aware when to use them and when not to. In addition they will show you where you can go with each individal object.

Draw maps and flow charts of what you want your application to do. Analyze the behavior of your application and always take time to pretend you are the user. You'll find that users aren't always logical either. Not sure if that was any help. But know you aren't alone. Just one of another herd trying to move in technology's lazy river.
    Someday I'll understand everything...
    Even then...I'll still pretend I'm a beginner.

Quote Originally Posted by Imdabaum
    I was also an Arts graduate. alone. Just one of another herd trying to move in technology's lazy river.
    Thanks for your time and replying me. Do you have any idea about Books, Websites and even some Online Material? to improve the Logical Thinking.

I heard Flow Chart is the Best way to understand the Code. But I google for the flow chart programming references but I didn't find. Any Websites?

Oops. I forgot. You have metioned about API. I never Came across those word. Could you please explain??
    Happiness keeps u sweet, trials keep u strong, sorrow keeps u human, failure keeps u humble, success keeps u glowing, but only God keeps u going

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    I come from a mathematics and IT development background, so my perspective is very different.

I would make a few comments:

- ignore APIs, they are nothing to do with logical constructs, they are just 'doors' into other pieces of code. They are useful, but not in the context of your question

-I never flow-chart anymore, I did many years ago when all my code was procedural, today the event driven code that I typically write doesn't lend itself to flow-charting

- look at the questions others post, and read the responses. See what you understand, when there are multiple replies try and understand the differences. If you don't understand why someone does something, ask them

- develop a programming style, I always use precise indenting and lots of blanks lines to make it easier to read. The style isn't necessarily the key, consistent style is more so

- post your own questions asking what is the best way to do so and so

As a small aside, a book I always liked which is not logical thinking per se, but how to think by abstracxting is '6 Thinking Hats' by Edward de Bono.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Quote Originally Posted by xld
    I come from a mathematics and IT development background, so my perspective is very different.

I would make a few comments:

- ignore APIs, they are nothing to do with logical constructs, they are just 'doors' into other pieces of code. They are useful, but not in the context of your question

-I never flow-chart anymore, I did many years ago when all my code was procedural, today the event driven code that I typically write doesn't lend itself to flow-charting

- look at the questions others post, and read the responses. See what you understand, when there are multiple replies try and understand the differences. If you don't understand why someone does something, ask them

- develop a programming style, I always use precise indenting and lots of blanks lines to make it easier to read. The style isn't necessarily the key, consistent style is more so

- post your own questions asking what is the best way to do so and so

As a small aside, a book I always liked which is not logical thinking per se, but how to think by abstracxting is '6 Thinking Hats' by Edward de Bono.
    Excellent Points and Thanks for the Information regarding the Book. I will definetly take one.

As I am a Arts Student, I want to develop logical thinking, So How can i develop it?
    Any clues?

@all

Please share your views and Ideas too. It will be very helpful to many of the People like me.

Don't Skip this Thread.

API is Application Programming Interface... Like xld said, it's a doorway to other pieces of code. Boring documents to read through but great sources when you need to see what objects are available for you to accomplish a task. It eases frustration of reinventing the wheel and leaves you to concentrate on the more essential tasks- Business Process.

Again though... practice is the main thing that has helped me... and if you've read any of my posts on here, it's logical to infer that I am still learning.
    Someday I'll understand everything...
    Even then...I'll still pretend I'm a beginner.

Quote Originally Posted by Imdabaum
    API is Application Programming Interface... Like xld said, it's a doorway to other pieces of code. Boring documents to read through but great sources when you need to see what objects are available for you to accomplish a task. It eases frustration of reinventing the wheel and leaves you to concentrate on the more essential tasks- Business Process.

Again though... practice is the main thing that has helped me... and if you've read any of my posts on here, it's logical to infer that I am still learning.
    Thanks for the Explanation.

@All

Please Share your views and Comments.

I can throw some nuts and bolts into the mix:

1. Get a thorough understanding of what 'nesting' means.

2. Same goes for 'Cartesian Product'

3. name variables to indicate their type - I use a modified form of Hungarian Notation where you place n, c, l, a, o in front of variable names to indicate Numeric, Character, Logical, Array, Object etc...

4. [again back to #1 and #2] - understand the distinction between a function and a subroutine.

5. ...as an adjunct to #4 - look to create re-usable/generic code especially if working on similar projects.

6. Common Sense often rules more than Logic - always put yourself in the place of the end user; they usually pay faster for what works, not what's purr...ty.

.02 Stan

3. name variables to indicate their type - I use a modified form of Hungarian Notation where you place n, c, l, a, o in front of variable names to indicate Numeric, Character, Logical, Array, Object etc...
    Totally disagree. Pointless. Shift-F2 will soon tell what the type is.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

I work in the aircraft industry. I turned wrenches for 20 years, and then started pushing paper around. I was dumbfounded to find the same information rewritten, by hand, over and over. I set out to, at least, make my work more efficient.

It’s here that I have to thank Cindy Meister for having the patience to tell me how to insert a userform, some 15 years ago. I purchased a book soon after and now I’m able to help others occasionally.

Imdabaum is right about practice. I realized that after I was more familiar with the objects and properties, my skills and style really started to develop enough that I could finish a project without outside input. Peruse the forums and try out pieces of code to see how they work. Change them around to test yourself with the expected answer.

If you’re writing for yourself, then write it so YOU understand it. Coding the ‘right way’ doesn’t mean anything if you don’t understand it. Writing it down (whether in a flow chart or not) is a great way to get your thoughts organized.

Totally disagree. Pointless. Shift-F2 will soon tell what the type is.
    You really missed the point. Possibly never looked at another person's code in your life

You really missed the point. Possibly never looked at another person's code in your life
    You reckon?

Abusus non tollit usum

James Thurber

Moderator VBAX Wizard Aussiebear's Avatar
    ROFL..... I'm going to grab a beer and re read this one again.
    Remember To Do the Following....
    Use [Code].... [/Code] tags when posting code to the thread.
    Mark your thread as Solved if satisfied by using the Thread Tools options.
    If posting the same issue to another forum please show the link