Consulting

Thread: Solved: Changing Range for Formula

VBAX Regular
    Solved: Changing Range for Formula

First of all, I love everyone who offers their knowledge on this site. To newbies in VBA, you are like freakin' Jedi...seriously. I have had this issue for some time and I'm finally coming to grips that I can't solve it myself. Essentially, I want to insert a formula using the standard code:

[VBA]Active.Cell.FormulaR1C1 = ""[/VBA]

However, I want to insert it at the bottom of a range that will change based upon the date range we are looking at. So, it can't just be a fixed range like the last two lines of code here:

[VBA]

Sheets("Sheet2").Select
    Range("A2").Select
    Selection.End(xlDown).Offset(2, 0).Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "Compounded"
    Selection.Offset(1, 0).Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "Annualized"
    Selection.Offset(-1, 1).Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=PRODUCT(1+R[-71]C:R[-2]C)-1"
    Selection.FormulaArray = "=PRODUCT(1+R[-71]C:R[-2]C)-1"

[/VBA]

The idea is that is will work like autosum, automatically selecting the range directly above the cell where the formula is entered. Basically, I need the formula to be flexible so if the range is B3:B100 instead of the current range it will use the entire range instead of what I specified in the code. Spreadsheet attached.

Please let me know if I need to clarify. Thanks.

Charles

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar

[vba]

With Worksheets("Sheet2")

With Range("A2").End(xlDown).Offset(2, 0)

.Value = "Compounded"
    .Offset(1, 0).Value = "Annualized"
    .Offset(0, 1).FormulaArray = "=PRODUCT(1+R3C:R[-2]C)-1"
    End With
    End With
    [/vba]

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

VBAX Regular
    The formula gives you the cumulative return of the monthly returns for the respective date range. Thanks for your reply. I'll let you know if I run into issues.

VBAX Regular
    Works beautifully, sometimes I fell really stupid. What an easy fix...Thanks...

If it is a cumulative return, why not use SUM?

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

VBAX Regular
    Returns compound on top of each other. Therefore, any series of returns must be expressed geometrically (i.e multiplied). For instance, let's say you have $100 dollars and you can invest it at 10% per annum. After the end of 1 year, you will have $110. If you earn another 10% the following year, you earn 10% on your original $100 dollar investment and 10% on the $10 dollars you earned the year before. So, your return is not 20%; it is 21%. This is expressed geometrically with the following formula:

100*1.10^2 = 121

VBAX Regular
    Hey - you answer a ton of questions on this forum. Out of curiosity, do you have any suggestions to become more proficient at VBA? Thanks.

Returns compound on top of each other. Therefore, any series of returns must be expressed geometrically (i.e multiplied). For instance, let's say you have $100 dollars and you can invest it at 10% per annum. After the end of 1 year, you will have $110. If you earn another 10% the following year, you earn 10% on your original $100 dollar investment and 10% on the $10 dollars you earned the year before. So, your return is not 20%; it is 21%. This is expressed geometrically with the following formula:

100*1.10^2 = 121
    I'm out of my comfort zone here, but aren't there financial functions that can work this out?

Abusus non tollit usum

James Thurber

Hey - you answer a ton of questions on this forum. Out of curiosity, do you have any suggestions to become more proficient at VBA? Thanks.
    It is not easy, you need to have a practical goal.

My only advice is along the lines of
    - buy a good book, something like Walkenbach's VBA For Dummies
    - get yourself a project that it meaningful to you and will allow you to practice the book's techniques
    - read the posts here, read the answers and if you don't get what is being done jump in and ask (it is a positive contribution, believe me, there will probably be others that wanted to ask but don't).

Abusus non tollit usum

James Thurber

VBAX Regular
    Actually, yes. There is a function called geomean, but you can only use it if all of your returns are positive. It's a little limiting. Thanks for the advice.