Software: LibreOffice 3.3 on Mac OS X 10.6.5
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3.28.2008 )
    Humanware: Older than dirt
    --------------------
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich

VBAX Tutor

Guess I don't need to worry about burning my house down with a PowerBook G5 anymore....

Mac Moderator VBAX Expert shades's Avatar
    What's interesting is that Apple has been running every version of OS X on Intel chips secretly for five years. Now that is corporate security!

--------------------
    old, slow, and confused

Rich

VBAX Tutor
    What's interesting is that Apple has been running every version of OS X on Intel chips secretly for five years. Now that is corporate security!
    It's been known for a while. What I'm curious about is whether OS X is just running on Intel boxes, or if it's running, usable, debugged and complete with all the extras (Safari, iPhoto, etc)...

I really only have two concerns: what happpens to the hardware market between now and next year, and whether any developers lose interest in developing for Mac because of this.

I used to be a huge PowerPC fan, but the advantages are not so obvious now. The last time I bought a Mac was actually the first time that I didn't worry about the processor, so I guess if there's a time to switch chips this is it.

It's been known for a while.
    Certainly speculation but never anything solid.

What I'm curious about is whether OS X is just running on Intel boxes, or if it's running, usable, debugged and complete with all the extras (Safari, iPhoto, etc)...
    From what I have read they have everything running and testing all Apple made software. 3rd Party will be the challenge, although MS and Adobe are on board already with this move. Apple also unveiled Rosetta which is the development environment for the transition for them.

I really only have two concerns: what happpens to the hardware market between now and next year, and whether any developers lose interest in developing for Mac because of this.
    I think the first is the real challenge. Can they expect sales of PPC with a year lead time before we see the Intel-based Macs.

Regarding the second I think Rosetta will take care of that. I am concerned for a few that have bought into the Mac way -- only to be left out in the cold, by a change in direction. For instance, Nisus (with only 4 developers/programmers) went to OpenDoc when Apple announced "this was the future" - and it was fully integrated into Nisus Writer (mid-late 1990's). Only Apple decided to abandon OpenDoc. Nisus has been developing Nisus Writer Express for OS X and it has taken longer, I suppose to make sure they stayed with Apple's direction. So, also Mellel, the most capable multi-lingual word processor anywhere (made by two brothers in Israel).

I used to be a huge PowerPC fan, but the advantages are not so obvious now. The last time I bought a Mac was actually the first time that I didn't worry about the processor, so I guess if there's a time to switch chips this is it.
    If the operating system works as in the past, it isn't a big deal for me. I bought an eMac last year at this time. It more than meets my needs. I may wait until the Mac-Intel PowerBooks become available in 2007. That will also tell me how well the eMac will hold up.

--------------------
    old, slow, and confused

Rich

So will there still be a 64 bit processor?

--------------------
    old, slow, and confused

Rich

VBAX Tutor
    So will there still be a 64 bit processor?
    A source of speculation for you: http://arstechnica.com/columns/mac/mac-20050608.ars

Hmm, all in due time I guess. Okay, thanks shades and BlueCactus.

I read recently (I'm trying to find it), that claimed that Apple had had to write special code for OS X to run on the PPC. But now with the Intel chips, Apple does not have to add that additional code, and so OS X is faster, "much faster", even without the performance tweaking. And apparently such speed will help all applications as well.

When I find the link I will post it.

--------------------
    old, slow, and confused

Rich