Consulting

Thread: Code for pushbutton click

Code for pushbutton click

I am working on a task that requires the creation of several charts from worksheets. Each worksheet will have the data that will produce about 10 charts with different groupings. I automated the process with buttons on the worksheet.

I have several other worksheets with different data but with a similar process of generating the charts. I have buttons on each worksheet that produce the charts with the same groupings.

The charts on worksheets have different benchmarks set.

Now I replicated the vba code for each worksheet.

Is there any way that I can have a common module for all the worksheets that has the code, but will only address the buttons on the ActiveSheet?

The buttons operate on Click events and how can I refer to the buttons on the ActiveSheet from the common module for the workbook?

Thanks in advance.

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    Have you tried Activesheet? If so, what was the problem?

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

xld,

Thanks for the response.

My problem is illustrated best by an example.

I am attaching a Workbook. Sheet 1 and Sheet 2 contain two buttons each - one from the ActiveX controls ("Test") and the second from Form Controls ("Calculate"). I have also included a Module for the Workbook.
    I want to write code in the Module for the workbook (not for individual worksheets) for Click events for these buttons.

Let us say that when we click a button on the Active sheet, the event populates Range("F4") with a value of 1250.

Whatever the Active sheet, when I click the button, it should access the code on the Module (in the workbook) and give the result. I do not want to have any code in individual worksheets.

I do not need to use both types of buttons - ActiveX and Forms Controls. Whatever suits best, I can use that type.

Thanks in advance.

So as I said, have you tried Activesheet? If so, what was the problem?

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Quote Originally Posted by xld
    So as I said, have you tried Activesheet? If so, what was the problem?
    Here is a simple code I wrote in the Module for the workbook.

Sub btnTest_Click()
    Dim oOLE As OLEObject
    Set oOLE = ActiveSheet.OLEObjects("btnTest")
    oOLE.Select
    With Selection
    ActiveSheet.Range("F4").Value = 1250
    End With
    End Sub

With the OLEObject, I do not find a click event. So I used the Select.
    When I run the code from the Module, the result appears on the ActiveSheet. But I cannot run the code by clicking the button on the ActiveSheet.

With the ActiveX control you need an event procedure on each worksheet, but if you use a Forms button, you can assign all of them to the same procedure

[vba]

Sub Button_Click()
    ActiveSheet.Range("F4").Value = 1250
    End Sub
    [/vba]

Abusus non tollit usum

James Thurber

OK, I am using the Forms buttons. I have one button (identical names Button2) on each worksheet.

For one worksheet (Sheet 2), the 'Click' event gives a result. For the other worksheet (Sheet 1), the button click event does not produce any result. For the first one, a 'hand' symbol appears when actuating the button. For the second one, this symbol does not appear and when the button actuated, only the button face gets selected.

How can I activate the button on the second sheet (Sheet 1)?
    Is there anything I am missing?

Abusus non tollit usum

James Thurber

Here is the trick.

When a Forms button is inserted, there will be a default macro e.g. Button1_Click. When the second button is created, another default macro name is displayed. But select the first macro (Button1_Click) for the second button as well.

This will now work for both the buttons.