Consulting

Thread: Updating fields on external input

Updating fields on external input

Is it possible for the fields in my application to automatically update when it receives some notification message?

The message is a JMS message received by a Java application running in a background thread. When the Java app receives the message, it does some processing and sends some data to my Excel spreadsheet. The spreadsheet is then supposed to automatically update based on this data. Can I register some sort of listener in VBA to listen for this message?

Thanks.

[edit] Or alternatively, is it possible to continually poll some location/file at regular intervals to check for updates?

I would probably use a vb.net program like what I posted at http://www.wpuniverse.com/vb/showthr...threadid=31419

If don't want to join the WordPerfect forum, you can PM your email to me and I will send the zip file example.

VBAX Regular
    How does it send the data to your spreadsheet? if you're able to change the java program, there are a couple of easy ways to accomplish that goal

Quote Originally Posted by Sean.DiSanti
    How does it send the data to your spreadsheet? if you're able to change the java program, there are a couple of easy ways to accomplish that goal
    That's the question I'm asking, how do I send data to the spreadsheet..?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Hobs
    I would probably use a vb.net program like what I posted at ...
    If don't want to join the WordPerfect forum, you can PM your email to me and I will send the zip file example.
    Thanks! Looks like something that would work for my application.

VBAX Regular
    if you're able to modify the java program, you could just have it create a file and have excel read it in when the file exists, and delete the file after reading it in.