Consulting

Thread: Solved: Possible Index/Match formula

Solved: Possible Index/Match formula

Hi

Being formula challenged, I need some assistance.

I have a sheet (something I have inherited) with a Data Validation drop down starting in cell F16 and continung to L53 - there are 4 choices available. Depending on the choice, I need some text to appear in appear in cell G16. The table of possible text values is in the range K15 - N53 - there are 4 columns. The text is all contained in the same row as the drop down. So, whatever the user chooses in say, F22, the possible options are contained in K22-N22 and so on. The first row of the table corresponds to the values of the drop down in F16, with the required text in the remainder of the table.

I therefore need a formula that, when the user chooses a value in F16, looks up the relevant column and then chooses the correct row to insert the text in G16 and so on. I could do this with code but I think a formula would be a better option.

Thanks.
    Iain - XL2010 on Windows 7

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    in G16:
    =INDEX($K16:$N16,1,MATCH($F16,$K$15:$N$15,0))
    and copy down.
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

Sorry I didn't have a chance to reply yesterday - formula is perfect - many thanks!
    Iain - XL2010 on Windows 7