I'm stumped. It's late. Maybe fresh eyes can see what's wrong.

I made a nice template, tightened up a routine to gather data via userform launched in Excel, and then populate various elements of Template, save newly created Document. Works great...so I thought.

Whenever I try to open the .docx file thereafter however, I get a Microsoft Office Word Message Box informing me:

"The file <blah blah>.docx cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents."

The Details >>> button reveals the very helpful: "No error detail available."

I thought it must be something wrong in my template, so I made a new one, with just one Content control...same results. Made another one with just one Bookmark, thinking maybe Content Controls were the culprit...same result.

If i use the same template, and manually create a new document from it, insert the text and save it, no problems...I can reopen the .docx file.

Here's the little routine I used to test the scenario. It mimics my more in depth routine for the real document. I launch this from Excel 2007, creating Document in Word 2007.

To use this create a .dotx file with one CC or one bookmark tagged/named "testdata"

[VBA]Public Sub makeContract()

Dim wrdApp As Word.Application
Dim conTemp As Word.Document

Dim SaveName As String
Dim myPath As String
Dim myTemplate As String

myPath = "C:\Testing\"

'myTemplate = "testContentControl.dotx"
myTemplate = "testBookmark.dotx"

SaveName = "Test"

Set wrdApp = CreateObject("Word.application")
wrdApp.Visible = True

Set conTemp = wrdApp.Documents.Open(myPath & myTemplate)

'conTemp.SelectContentControlsByTag("testdata").Item(1).Range.Text = "12345"
conTemp.Bookmarks("testdata").Range.InsertAfter "12345"

conTemp.SaveAs myPath & SaveName & ".docx"

Set conTemp = Nothing
Set wrdApp = Nothing

End Sub
[/VBA]

What am I missing??