Consulting

Thread: Check delivered items

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    Check delivered items

I'm looking to check Delivered Receipts against Sent emails. Before I reinvent the wheel, does anyone have a routine for this?
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Post a workbook with sample data and layout if you want a quicker solution.

To help indent your macros try Smart Indent

Please remember to mark threads 'Solved'

No, but something quick could be whipped up, if you can be more specific.

My understanding is that delivery receipts have nothing in common with the item they are associated with, other than the Subject line. So all that could be done is to compare the Subject of the delivery receipt with the contents of the Sent Items folder.
    Regards,
    JP

Read the FAQ
    Getting free help on the web
    My website
    Please use [vba][/vba] tags when posting code

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Grand Master mdmackillop's Avatar
    If you will PM me your email, I can forward a typical receipt. It contains some body text, a txt attachment and also a copy of the sent mail.
    The basic issue is that at work, some emails do not appear to be delivered, but we get no bounce back. I'm looking to try and identify when this happens.
    My thoughts are to save in Excel or text file the Addressees/Copy Addresses stripped from emails as they are sent. From Excel, I would attempt to check the receipts to find successful deliveries. It's the latter part I suspect I need assistance. If it is easier, I would would work within Outlook to list the available information, then create an Excel procedure in due course.
    I'll try to put something together at the weekend along these lines, although I'm happy to consider any other solutions.
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

VBAX Master
    What do you mean by 'appear not to be delivered' ? If you mean that you don't receive a return receipt that doesn't mean it hasn't been delivered. Maybe the servers doesn't send out return receipts (for myself I never send read receipts). Maybe the spam software on the servers holds them in quarantaine (at least our software does that, I have to check each day if something has been blocked (in or out)).

Charlize

Administrator
    It seems some people have not received copies of certain emails, whilst others do. The best I could come up with was to try and check delivered receipts. If we don't receive one, we can carry out further checks. It may not be foolproof but it may help us track down the problem.
    Regards
    Malcolm
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

The basic issue is that at work, some emails do not appear to be delivered, but we get no bounce back. I'm looking to try and identify when this happens.
    For known recipients (i.e. other Outlook users on Exchange server) it might work, but delivery receipts aren't a reliable way to prove that an email was or wasn't received.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/196495

In that case, I think you'll spend a lot of time needlessly chasing down recipients who got your email but their server isn't configured to send delivery receipts.
    Regards,
    JP

Read the FAQ
    Getting free help on the web
    My website
    Please use [vba][/vba] tags when posting code

Administrator
    I know this may be of limited use, but I thought I'd give it a try. Obviously if we check and find delivery took place, we can score off that name as a non-notifier. If they miss a message in future, it's outwith my control anyway.

The side benefit is to improve my knowledge of Outlook coding, so it's still worthwhile!
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)