Consulting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Google Ads

Site Admin
    Jedi Master
    Google Ads

As you may see now, we are currently trying out Google Ads for the site. There are many things that Zack and I have planned for this site, but they all cost $$, so we are seeing if these ads can generate some. This would allow us to put some money back into the site and it's users.

I will be deactivating these ads for all members that are VBAX Contributors (100 posts + 1 Kb Entry) and up, and for all staff.

If you have any questions or comments, please post.

Thanks

Jake

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Guru MOS MASTER's Avatar

Wel I don't find it disturbing in any way and running a forum that's growing costs money so 1 + 1 = google ads!

FYI. The ads show up Black in the editor screen I know its WIP but I thought I'd mention it.

Can't wait for all the things you and Zack have planned for this site because its allready great in looks and well maintained!
    (Thanks to the both of you for hosting this beauty!)
    _________
    Groetjes,

Joost Verdaasdonk
    M.O.S. Master

Mark your thread solved, when it has been, by hitting the Thread Tools dropdown at the top of the thread.
    (I don't answer questions asked through E-mail or PM's)

Site Admin
    Jedi Master
    I saw a black screen as well on the New Posts page. Not sure what is going on there yet.

Thanks

Administrator
    I saw a black screen as well on the New Posts page. Not sure what is going on there yet.

Thanks
    Well Staff can't see it no more so that's working properly!
    _________
    Groetjes,

Joost Verdaasdonk
    M.O.S. Master

Mark your thread solved, when it has been, by hitting the Thread Tools dropdown at the top of the thread.

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    Well Staff can't see it no more so that's working properly!
    Except Admins.

I will be deactivating these ads for all members that are VBAX Contributors (100 posts + 1 Kb Entry) and up, and for all staff.

Is this going to be the same for the top of the KB entries page?

Just curious,
    Brandtrock

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru

Site Admin
    Jedi Master
    For the Kb, I want to remove the ad for anyone that has 1 or more Kb Entries. Still looking in to that change.

VBAX Mentor
    As you may see now, we are currently trying out Google Ads for the site. There are many things that Zack and I have planned for this site, but they all cost $$, so we are seeing if these ads can generate some. This would allow us to put some money back into the site and it's users.

Thanks

Jake
    r those ads coming from, as i recall, googlesyndication.com?

Site Admin
    Jedi Master
    The ads come from google.com. They determine what ads to show based on the content of the page.

Administrator
    Personally, I don't mind them in their present form. They're just on a small strip across the top so it's quite tasteful - unlike some sites that have rather large stips of ads up top and running down the side of the page as well.

And, hopefully, most net users are (or should be) aware by now that this is merely a way of cutting costs and we are not necessarily promoting/endorsing the products listed there.
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

The major part of getting the right answer lies in asking the right question...

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Grand Master mdmackillop's Avatar
    Do you get more $$$ if we click on the links?

VBAX Mentor
    The ads come from google.com. They determine what ads to show based on the content of the page.
    My concern is that I noticed, at another web site, a URL something like, pageread2.googlesyndication.com was try to write data (I ASSuME) to my system, and it was killing performance, i .e., no matter what link I clicked on the web site, the green activity light in the systray turned black and I could go nowhere at that site.

I sent an email to the site administrator, an dalmost immediately, te problem went away. Could be a coincidence, or maybe the site administrator was playing with settings. Have not yet received a response from the site administrator, so I suspect the latter.

Site Admin
    Jedi Master
    If you notice any problems like that, let me know asap.

We get a couple cents per click and we also get $$ per view, it depends on what the advertizers are paying google. But if everyone clicked one link every time they came to the site, that would be great.

Knowledge Base Approver
    The King of Overkill! VBAX Master
    Since they are disabled for me, I can't see/click them. Any way to re-enable them for me without a ton of coding?

Also, do you know if they have any limits on clicks from certain IPs? I'll click each link every time I visit if it means a little extra for the site, but if they only give you the money for 1 click per link per IP then I'll only click new ones.

ADDED:
    I see the links on the KB page, I can just use those. Any way of opening a new window when following the link?

Site Admin
    Jedi Master
    Hold down shift when clicking the link and it will open in a new window.

The links probably only count once per ip, I am sure google verifies this to stop cheating.

I will enable the ads for you for now and any other staff member that doesn't mind seeing them.

Site Admin
    The Princess VBAX Guru Anne Troy's Avatar
    Yes. They watch for fake clicking, so be careful.
    ~Anne Troy

Knowledge Base Approver
    The King of Overkill! VBAX Master
    I clicked on the 4 links on the KB page, did a hard-refresh (or whatever it is called when holding control and clicking the refresh button), and the ads were gone. I assumed maybe they disappear after clicking? But what do I know!

Administrator
    Me likes clicking a lot so I'll go now and Click some adds!

Okay..clicked all available but it was no much fun. Only adds about Password security today..noting to do with Office...Bummer!
    _________
    Groetjes,

Joost Verdaasdonk
    M.O.S. Master

Administrator
    Chat VP
    Hey, here's a freebie I picked up from the Google ads already, check it out - my very own site and forums - http://phpbb.ce7.net/nqarchery
    (actually, seeing they were free I took two )
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

The major part of getting the right answer lies in asking the right question...

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.