Consulting

Thread: Best Practice Advice

Best Practice Advice

When writing SQL statements in VBA procedures that will use them to open recordsets via ADO, any advice on syntax.

For example, If I create a query in Access and copy the Resulting SQL to my VBA procedure it may look something like this:

[VBA]sSQL = "SELECT A.[xxx], B.[yyy], A.[zzz] " & _
    "FROM tblAlpha A INNER JOIN tblBeta B ON A.[ID] = B.[ID];" [/VBA]

Any advantage over using the Join statement as compared to something like this:

[VBA]sSQL = "SELECT A.[xxx], B.[yyy], A.[zzz] " & _
    "FROM tblAlpha A, tblBeta B " & _
    "WHERE A.[ID] = B.[ID];"
    [/VBA]

I'm looking at building a routine to construct the needed SQL based on some User selections/actions and was hoping to nail down a syntax that would be easy to logically construct based on the state of the user interface when requested.

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    Why not just run the two queries and look at the query plan?

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Not sure what you mean by "Query Plan".

I can build a query in Access with the Query Designer and it will build the INNER JOIN sql. I can then go change the SQL to resemble the latter example above with the WHERE clause. Both return identical results.

I guess my question was one of efficiency. On larger databases is there an impact on performance with one versus the other? I haven't created a large DB to test it on. Maybe I'll go do that.

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    Sorry, I was assuming you were using SQL server not Access.

I knocked up a similar query in SQL Server, and checked the execution plans, and they were identical. I admit, I expected the JOIN to be more efficient, but in my data, no difference.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber