Consulting

Thread: Solved: Disable Formfields Reset

VBAX Regular
    Solved: Disable Formfields Reset

Is there a way to completely disable FormFields Reset.
    The only reason i ask is that when you update fields without the document being locked, it resets all the formfields.

Many Thanks

Pete

VBAX Wizard
    I take it you are using Word 2000? I think this issue was fixed in later versions.

Could you clarify exactly what you are doing? You are updating "fields without the document being locked". What precisely do you mean by updatefields - the formfields? other fields? Why is the document unlocked.

There is likely a way to fix the issue, but more precise details are needed.

VBAX Regular

I have some forms setup within Word.
    Occasionally users have to unlock the form to edit something on it, the only problem is that some of them are rightclicking on some of the reference fields and clicking update field. This is not a problem when the document is locked, but when it is unlocked, all the formfields in the documents reset.

I need to stop this from happening!!

VBAX Wizard
    If users need to unlock to edit...then the form is designed incorrectly. If you are using formfields, then the document should be locked to users. Period. If there are sections that need to be edited (and i am assuming you mean text editing, NOT formfield editing), then put those areas into separate sections using Continuous Sections. Protect the areas that need protecting, and lock them. Keep the sections that you need to allow edits as unprotected.

Having users even being ABLE to unlock the form is a bad idea.

However, you did not answer the question. I asked about these other fields. If they are right clicking , and doing an Update, then these are not formfields, these are other Fields. What are they, and what are they being used for?

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base

This behaviour is by design and you can't change that. If you update or modify a field in a unprotected form the values will be reset.

Your best option is definitly the option Gerry gave you. Divide your form in protected in unprotected sections. So people can modify the unprotected section and can't change the protected section.

I take it you are using Word 2000?
    This is true if you're talking about the resetting of fields by the protect button. (That was fixed in versions > 2000)

However I think pete means people manualy update the formfield or all fields (Ctrl+A / F9) for instance in a unprotected section and then the formfields will get reset as well.

I could only agree rethinking the design is the best option.
    _________
    Groetjes,

Joost Verdaasdonk
    M.O.S. Master

Mark your thread solved, when it has been, by hitting the Thread Tools dropdown at the top of the thread.
    (I don't answer questions asked through E-mail or PM's)

VBAX Regular
    Joost and Gerry, Thanks for the advice but i still have a small problem with this. Part of my form inserts a table chosen from a dropdown box. These tables occasionally need extra rows adding and therefore they must be placed in an unprotected section. This is where the problem arrises , you can no longer tab between the formfields in the table because the section is unprotected.

What do u suggest i do??

VBAX Wizard
    OK, please describe EXACTLY what is going on.

Part of my form inserts a table chosen from a dropdown box.
    1. Expand on this please. This is a text list, describing various tables that can be inserted?
    2. Where is this table inserted?
    3. What causes changes, whereby additional rows are added?
    4. It seems that the table has formfields in it. If the the table is "inserted' then that implies it previously was not there, which extends to teh implication the formfields were not there. What is the process for putting in the formfields?
    5. New rows will not have formfields. Are you putting new formfields into new rows?

NOTE: Adding rows can be done and still have the table in a protected section.

Describe percisely the steps you want. If possible, a small sample file would help.

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base

Indeed giving more detail would help..helping you!

Could give us you're document as well so we can see how you've build it. So we can assist you better.
    _________
    Groetjes,

Joost Verdaasdonk
    M.O.S. Master

Mark your thread solved, when it has been, by hitting the Thread Tools dropdown at the top of the thread.

VBAX Regular
    Im currently working on a solution for my problem that will not require the formfeilds reset function being disabled. I will then take into account the design recommendations made above and that will sort my problem.

Thanks again Guys

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    _________
    Groetjes,

Joost Verdaasdonk
    M.O.S. Master