Consulting

Thread: Solved: Need to limit choices for the save as name.

VBAX Expert
    Solved: Need to limit choices for the save as name.

I'm in need of a ThisWorkbook before save event routine, that limits the save as name to only equal the current name, or the current name with the date and time appended to it.

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Edit: Sorry to add complexity to my request. I need to always be able to get back to the original name,
    which will always be a single word Name(without a date)

What about the directory? Do you always want it saved in the same directory as well, or should the user be able to browse to a new one?

(Forcing a save to the same directory would be a lot easier than giving the user the option to browse too.)
    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

VBAX Expert

To the same directory will be great. - Sorry I didn't think to mention that.

Thanks for your assistance.

[VBA]Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean)
    If SaveAsUI = True Then
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    Select Case MsgBox("Would you like to append the date/time to the file name?", vbYesNoCancel)
    Case Is = vbYes
    ThisWorkbook.SaveAs _
    Filename:=ThisWorkbook.Path & _
    Application.PathSeparator & _
    Left(ThisWorkbook.Name, InStrRev(ThisWorkbook.Name, ".") - 1) & _
    Format(Now, " yyyy-mm-dd mm-ss") & _
    Right(ThisWorkbook.Name, Len(ThisWorkbook.Name) - InStrRev(ThisWorkbook.Name, ".") + 1)
    Case Is = vbNo
    ThisWorkbook.Save
    Case Is = vbCancel
    'Just cancel
    End Select
    Cancel = True
    Application.EnableEvents = True
    End If
    End Sub[/VBA]

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

VBAX Expert

I really appreciate your time working on this. - The code you wrote gets me close.
    There are a couple of changes that will make it perfect, if it's not too much trouble.

Currently the workbook name is "Joblog" and when I appended it twice:
    the result was "Joblog 2011-04-15 04-45 2011-04-15 04-07"
    The time part of it doesn't seem to be a time, as it was about 1:25 am when I ran it. That is fine though, I can fix that myself with a quick google search for date time formats.

The changes I need are that I want the Yes choice to replace the date/time (if any) to make it current - In other words, there should never be more than one date/time in a file name.

If No is selected, I want the date and time stripped off so that it is renamed back to the ordinal name (in this case "Joblog") - The file names are always going to be a single word.

Thank you so much

Sorry, Frank. Posted too late last night!

Try this:
    [VBA]Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean)
    Dim sFileName As String
    Dim sFileExt As String
    Dim sFileFullName As String

'Set file name here
    sFileName = "Joblog"
    sFileExt = Right(ThisWorkbook.Name, Len(ThisWorkbook.Name) - InStrRev(ThisWorkbook.Name, ".") + 1)
    If SaveAsUI = True Then

'Turn off events to prevent recursive calls
    Application.EnableEvents = False

'Ask user what they'd like to do
    Select Case MsgBox("Would you like to append the date/time to the file name?", vbYesNoCancel)

Case Is = vbYes
    'Append datestampe to file
    sFileName = sFileName & Format(Now, " yyyy-mm-dd hh-nn-ss")
    sFileFullName = ThisWorkbook.Path & Application.PathSeparator & sFileName & sFileExt
    ThisWorkbook.SaveAs sFileFullName

Case Is = vbNo
    'Save under original file name
    sFileFullName = ThisWorkbook.Path & Application.PathSeparator & sFileName & sFileExt

If ThisWorkbook.FullName = sFileFullName Then
    'File already saved with no datestamp. Just needs to be saved
    ThisWorkbook.Save
    Else
    'File needs to be saved under original name
    On Error Resume Next
    Kill sFileFullName
    On Error GoTo 0
    ThisWorkbook.SaveAs sFileFullName
    End If

Case Is = vbCancel
    'User cancelled. Do nothing, as cancel called later
    End Select

'Cancel the save as all required saves are complete
    Cancel = True
    Application.EnableEvents = True
    End If
    End Sub[/VBA]

VBAX Expert

Thanks a bunch for that. -- It's working great.

Can't thank you enough

And I really appreciate you taking the extra time in adding the well written code comments.

Hope you have a great day.