Consulting

Thread: Solved: Re-calculating cells with unrecognized functions

Solved: Re-calculating cells with unrecognized functions

I have an application in which formulas containing user functions are inserted in cells possibly before the code for the user functions exists. This possibility is something I cannot eliminate.

The code for the user functions is eventually brought into the workbook through a process which Chip Pearson calls extensibility. One way to describe extensibility is the programmatic copying of VBA modules from one workbook to another.

If a function call-out exists before the function itself exists, #NAME? appears in the cell, as you would expect.

BUT HERE IS THE CRUX OF THE PROBLEM:

#NAME? stays in the cell, even after the code has been copied. This is true even after invoking Application.CalculateFullRebuild, which tells me Excel is failing to re-calculate cells which formerly had a #NAME? error.

Any ideas on how to get Excel to re-calculate cells which formerly had a #NAME? error?
    Last edited by CycleTimeCha; 07-22-2011 at 08:41 PM.

Moderator VBAX Wizard Aussiebear's Avatar
    Have a good look at the Excel help files for #Name error. Logic would suggest that the initial workbook needs to be rectified.
    Remember To Do the Following....
    Use [Code].... [/Code] tags when posting code to the thread.
    Mark your thread as Solved if satisfied by using the Thread Tools options.
    If posting the same issue to another forum please show the link

I think the first thing I would try, assuming you really cannot alter the sequence of events, would be to run a Replace operation replacing = with = in order to replicate re-entering the formulas.

Thanks, the = for = replacement works perfectly