Consulting

Thread: Find Method (Skipping Rows)

VBAX Regular
    Find Method (Skipping Rows)

I am running a Find Method and need help skipping over the headings in my spreadsheet. Partial Code is Below. I want to make the Find method skip over Row 2 (which is the heading row for a table). I considered using the "After" varient for the Find Method (Find(What, After, LookIn etc)) however I can't seem to get it to work. Any help would be much appreciated.

[vba]Dim ws As Worksheet, myvar As String, val1 As Range
    Dim val2 As Range, tmp As Range, cnt As Integer
    cnt = 0
    myvar = InputBox("Please Enter a Keyword:")
    If myvar = "" Then Exit Sub
    For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets
    Set val1 = ws.Cells.Find(What:=myvar, LookIn:=xlValues, Lookat:=xlPart, MatchCase:=False)
    If Not val1 Is Nothing Then
    cnt = cnt + 1
    Application.Goto val1
    ActiveCell.EntireRow.Select
    Selection.Copy
    Worksheets("Home").Select
    Range("A1").Select
    Selection.End(xlDown).Offset(1, 0).Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste[/vba]

Thank You!

~Maggie

Set val1 = ws.Range(2 & ":" & Rows.Count).Find(What:=myvar, LookIn:=xlValues, Lookat:=xlPart, MatchCase:=False)

VBAX Regular

Thank you, unfortunately that doesn't seem to work for me. I have uploaded part of the file to look at. Command Button "New Search" brings up a message box. If you search 'Program' (one of the heading titles) It goes into a loop of copying the heading. What I would like to avoid. I did not add the other sheets for confidentiality purposes.

~Maggie

Attached Files Attached Files

You are correct about 'After' part. Use it like:
    [vba]Set val1 = ws.Range(2 & ":" & Rows.Count).Find(What:=myvar, After:=ws.Range("C1"), LookIn:=xlValues, Lookat:=xlPart, MatchCase:=False)[/vba]
    Regards,
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Shrivallabha
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Using Excel 2016 in Home / 2010 in Office

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    It didn't work because
    ws.Range(2 & ":" & Rows.Count)
    includes row 2. Perhaps change the 2 to a 3.

but this still wouldn't work because if the string was found where you want to searcdh for it, when you do the next find:
    Set val2 = ws.Cells.FindNext(After:=val1)
    you're searching the whole sheet again. So this too needs to be:
    Set val2 = ws.Range(3 & ":" & Rows.Count).FindNext(After:=val1)

You probably want to exclude searching the Home sheet, as the number of times the search term occurs in it is likely to increase - this might cause looping.

Your method of deciding which row to paste to on the Home sheet is a bit flaky. I suggest, since you're always starting at row 3 you have a variable such as DestRow, initially holding 3, but incremented every time you paste a row, and use that to determine which row to paste stuff to.

Some Qs:
    1. I see a filter on the Home sheet, if there are filters active on other sheets, do you want to search hidden cells too? At the moment, you're not.

2. Version of Excel?

3. Do you want to skip ONLY row 2, that is are you happy that suggested code also skips row 1?
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

VBAX Regular

Putting ws.Range(3 & ":" & Rows.Count) on both val1= and val2= fixed my problem.

Excel 2003

I originally had multiple worksheets that it was searching through (thus the For Each) Now I only have one sheet for it to search through. Can I just take out the For Each? to make it only go through my Sheet2?

And Yes, I only want to skip row 2. Row 1 is fine to search or skip through as it is Empty. which ever is easier.

I have taken the AutoFilters off.

Thank you so much for your help

~Maggie

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maggie
    I originally had multiple worksheets that it was searching through (thus the For Each) Now I only have one sheet for it to search through. Can I just take out the For Each? to make it only go through my Sheet2?
    Replace the For Each line with:
    Set ws = Sheet2
    if you're using the codename of the sheet, or:
    Set ws = Thisworkbook.sheets("Sheet2")
    if you're using the sheet's tab name.

Also remove the corresponding Next statement lower down.

If in the future, you want to start searching multiple sheets again use:
    [vba]For Each ws in ThisWorkBook.worksheets
    If ucase(ws.name) <> "HOME" then

'existing loop contents here

End if
    Next ws[/vba] which will skip processing the Home sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by maggie
    And Yes, I only want to skip row 2. Row 1 is fine to search or skip through as it is Empty. which ever is easier.
    If you're sure you never want to return a find on row 1 then leave it as it is.
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.