Consulting

Thread: Bug or Coding Problem

Bug or Coding Problem

Hi all, I'm new to the forums and this is my first post. I'm a 9th grade science teacher and I'm in the process of making an interactive game that helps students to learn about a concept called "midnight dumping" which is the illegal dumping of wastes anywhere that they were not intended to go. The issue is that the waste can then contaminate ground water as it flows towards an underground aquifer (and yes, I realize it's hard to talk about "midnight dumping" without a few grins and chuckles - I teach 9th graders). Anyways, I've attached my PowerPoint which includes the main screen of my game and the options screen. If you click on the "options" button from the main screen it will bring you to the options menu and if you click on the "save these selections" button from the options menu it will bring you back to the main screen.

My dilemma is this: if you go in to the options menu and change any of the options and then click "save these selections", the screen (very briefly) shows the options jumping back to what they were before you made changes and then it takes you back to the main screen. If you click on the options button again it brings you to the options page and shows the selections jumping back to your most recent selections. That may be kind of hard to follow, which is why I've included a copy of my presentation so you can see for yourself. I'm not sure if the issue is a problem with my code or just PowerPoint bug. Whichever it is I don't think that it's causing a problem with the functionality of the project, but I don't want my users to be confused plus I just don't like the look of it. Anyways, if you get a chance and have the time could you please take a look at my presentation and my code to see what I mean and see if anything jumps out at you as a problem. As far as the code goes feel free to point out any errors - I'm not a programmer, I'm a teacher and PowerPoint enthusiast that found out about VBA and I've been educating myself about it in order to find ways to enhance student learning. Thanks again, I'm excited to be a member of the comunity.
    Attached Files Attached Files

VBAX Sage

Go to the head of the class

3 gold stars

A+

I added the Screen Updating On/Off module I got from Shyam Pillai, and added it to the shape called "SaveSelections"

Suggestion: Using subroutines and Select Case would simplify your VBA

I did StartMarks and FormatBudget as an example

The rest is a homework assignment

Paul
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks! Now off to do homework...

Thanks! It's probably pretty obvious from my code that I'm not a coder, but thanks for helping me out. You're ideas work great and they're helping me see how a lot of my coding can be done much smarter. Anyways, I appreciate the help. As for the gold stars, I'll take them - and I'm sure you just couldn't resist assigning homework to a teacher Anyways, thanks again! I'm sure I'll be posting for more help as I get further in my project.