Consulting

Thread: SumProduct vs GetPivotData

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

SumProduct vs GetPivotData

General question regarding the use of Sumproduct as opposed to GetPivotData...

Any opinions out there on using one approach versus the other in a situation where you're creating a report driven from data brought into excel as a recordset from a database?

eg:

Dump Recordset to a PivotTable's Datasource range with copyfromrecordset
    Refresh PivotTable
    Retrieve data elements for your report with =getpivotdata(...)

vs>

Dump Recordset to a range with copyfromrecordset
    Use Sumproduct against that range to retrieve data elements for your report

I'm playing with a scenario, and have achieved my report goals with both approaches. Just curious about best practice / preferences out there on which approach to use.

Or should I expect that I should be able to generate a recordset from my DB that won't require further manipulation in Excel and could be dumped straight to the report body? I know my DB design and SQL skills have a ways to go!

Thanks for any insights and opinions!

Shred

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    I haven't timed it, but my feeling would be that GetPivotData would be more efficient and probably more flexible here.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

As it turned out for me, GetPivotData won out. Since SumProduct always returns a number, and I was dealing with Times, a zero was giving me midnight values where I didn't need them, yet there were instances where midnight was correct, so I still needed to capture those. Wrapping GetPivotData in an IfError to throw off a "", worked well for my reporting needs.

Thanks as always for the input.