Consulting

Thread: VBA: Selecting and Copying Columns [more complex than it sounds]

VBA: Selecting and Copying Columns [more complex than it sounds]

okay so long story short is i need to transfer data from one excel sheet into another

here is the scenario that i have if somebody could tell me if its possible/feasible or if there is another way to do so...

there are a number of columns with data organized by headers [Weight, Mass, Height, Color, etc.]

the user SELECTS a certain number of rows [say rows 2, 4, and 7]

the user is then prompted for which pieces of data should be copied for ALL of these rows... whether this be through a checklist or drop down menu or anything organized

for example, i would choose the Weight and Mass of rows 2, 4, and 7
    to be transferred into a new sheet with only the data for rows 2, 4, and 7 and their Weight and Mass

is this possible? any help, suggestions, pointers, or solutions would be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance!

I don't know why you started another thread. http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?p=250123

In that other thread, you need to post an example so that you can get more help. You need to decide on a method for selecting columns. You could just Select the cells though which is easy and skips the need for a column selection. There are several methods to pick the columns to select. A Listbox with checkbox items would seem easy enough. A Userform is probably the best route. The Userform would be shown or set as modeless to allow selection of rows.

how do you go about creating a Listbox or Userform? this system would be less for small sets of data and more for large sets instead where picking out the cells individually would be a hassle and also pasting them into a new sheet one by one

VBAX Expert
    Try this

Try this out
    Attached Files Attached Files

thats perfect! how did you implement the checkboxes??

VBAX Expert
    easiest, just put the spreadsheet into DESIGN mode and do a copy and paste - making sure they are in sequential order! Otherwise, the wrong column will be selected and your destination will get screwed up.

thank you to both of you!

last question @JKwan: is there anyway to put that [or something like it] into VBA code?

VBAX Expert
    last question @JKwan: is there anyway to put that [or something like it] into VBA code?
    I don't understand, what I gave you is VBA codes..... Unless you don't want the Checkboxes on the spreadsheet and use a form, is this what you are referring?