Consulting

Thread: Cloud question

Cloud question

I've learned recentlay that it is possible to put a database back end in the cloud (such as Dropbox) and link the backend to local front ends, thus having a shared backend with users not on the same network.

I'm concerned with security, obviously. But are there other implications that I should be concerned about? Is synchronization an issue?

Does anyone think this is a viable solution?

I have not heard of anyone successfully using Dropbox to host a back end JET (.mdb) or ACE (.accdb) database.

I found it must better to use an SQl Server back edn when hosting it out the internet (now called the cloud).

I alos rreally like using a Thin Client technology. I use Terminal Services a lot.

You may also want to see some of the other optons listed here:

Running an Access database over the internet
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach
    Microsoft Access MVP -2010-2015

Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

good comment. but... we have to be able to use what is available to us. For example

I belong to several retirement community clubs and maintain their databases. One of the clubs has 4 different facilities and we need to be able to access the real data from each of them. I've split all the tables into a separate .accdb and link the tables to different .accdb files that contain all the code and forms. i.e. West, East, Desert, Studio...

Each of the facilities has their own .accdb file. When using the data, I NEVER open a table. I use recordsets and paint the data to a form. Very rarely do I ever get a conflict.
    ttfn

Kicker

further note.

Another organization I belong to has a similar problem. The dropbox structure is

Dropbox
    ....Membership
    ....Playground
    ....Development

the real files are located in the Membership directory
    the playground is for people to practice and not worry about causing data damage
    the development is where I do all the programming.

I put a DOS Bat file in each computer's STARTUP directory (long path from C:\). The Bat file does a copy from the dropbox\Membership directory of the .accdb file containing all the forms/queries/code. That means I can change the code at any time and when a workstation logs on/opens, it automatically updates the program code.

Works perfectly.
    ttfn

Kicker